Blundstone boots - experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I got some for work in 1997, they were brilliant until the soles went spongy and fell apart last year. I put many a mile on them over the years and the actual boots were fine, it was the material of the actual sole that degraded and fell to bits. Not sure if it's true but I have heard the quality of Blundstone has gone down in recent years?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Not sure about recent blundstones. I got some rossi boots (same styling) 4 years ago and the soles are starting to wear now. But then I hardly ever wear anything else.

The leather on Rossi and blundstones tends to be really good quality veg tanned (best maintained with a wax like Dubbin). Stands up to really hard use, always polishes up to look classy, with that deep oiled-leather sheen.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I had a pair of these a while back, and I think they're still kicking about somewhere! They are, dare I say it, at tough as, er, well, you get the picture! Very comfortable, hard wearing, highly recommended, elegant, they're not, the pair I had were not waterproof, but they didn't claim to be. I gave them the WD40 treatment and after that they were waterproof as well!

All in all, though, they're only a pair of dealer boots made famous by Mr Mears, why not look at the Timberland offering, Chelsey, I think, about the same price.

Anyway, good boots, but there are other possibilities.

Just my two penn'oth, etc...

resnikov

I got some for work in 1997, they were brilliant until the soles went spongy and fell apart last year. I put many a mile on them over the years and the actual boots were fine, it was the material of the actual sole that degraded and fell to bits. Not sure if it's true but I have heard the quality of Blundstone has gone down in recent years?

Exactly the same happened with me. But very good boots.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
All in all, though, they're only a pair of dealer boots made famous by Mr Mears, .
They aren't dealer boots, they are Aussie stockboots and have been made from long before Mr Mears was a twinkle in his dad's eye! My dad bought me my first pair when I was 14 - and the soles were ruined by fighting a grassfire that got into the top paddock.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The soles on my Blunnies have also split, but after a fair bit of use. Years of life left in the uppers, but no way of resoling them.

My redbacks,

http://www.bushgear.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

are heavier weight, and have soles that look like they will last for ever. I have worn mine almost every day for a few years with no sign of wearing.

The Blunnies are thinner leather and thinner soles, but this also makes them more slipper like to wear. Probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. The Redbacks have more of a workbook feel, where as the Blunnies would be good as lightweight workboots or you could get away with them as "dress" boots. The Redbacks are too clunky for this, but still exceptionally comfy.

I would certainly consider another pair of Blunnies, as they are more suitable to wear to the office as wel as dealing with the unexpected foray into the woods, local quarry etc, than the Redbacks, but for bimbling about, the Redbacks feel more bombproof.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
So. If we could get something like Blundstones but repairable? I find as I get older I feel the need to have things that can be repaired, maintained. Seems like Danner and Red Wing promote this. I have some Alfred Sargent dealer boots that are fantastic but a but formal. Are the Hogg boots very stiff soled?

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
The £49 dealer boots are the ones I have from Hoggs and I haven't found them uncomfortable, but comfort of shoes/boots is a very personal thing. I'd say they are stiffer than the Blunds, but my feet feel fine after 8+hrs in them.
Not sure if they can be repaired - Hoggs do offer a repair service...

I do rate Hoggs stuff - I have waterproof fleece which has been going strong for about 5 years heavy winter use.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've worn my Blunnies for the last year in and around salt water and they're going strong. Shop around for a good price. The only downside is they can't be resoled. Someone mentioned RM Williams boots, they are great and can be resoled but are considerably more expensive. I wanted RM Williams for years and they were better than I thought. Give the Aussies their due the do make good work boots.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Thanks for all the info guys

I've worn my Blunnies for the last year in and around salt water and they're going strong. Shop around for a good price. The only downside is they can't be resoled. Someone mentioned RM Williams boots, they are great and can be resoled but are considerably more expensive. I wanted RM Williams for years and they were better than I thought. Give the Aussies their due the do make good work boots.

I haven't come across much in the way of bargains - all Blundstone 550s seem to be £90-00 plus?

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have a pair of the Blunnies and have also had a pair of the Hoggs.

The Blunnies are supremely comfortable straight out of the box and have lasted me well with a lot of wearing. I have type 2 diabetes and lousy feet but they are one of my most comfortable shoe/boot.

The Hoggs on the other hand are heavier and well built. Comfortable when on! Something about the shape of the boot or my foot makes them really hard work to get on or off! Hell of a fight getting them off especially. So hard that I gave them to my son in the end and he wears them constantly!

Gareth

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Blundstone are what I've worn for the past 10 years or so. New past every 3-4 years due to sole again, as others have said. But split over 3 years, £30 a year seems good value for solid, very comfortable boots that polish up easily to look formal and smart if needed. I wear mine for work, standing up for 5-6 hours a day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE