Blankets vs sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Does anyone routinely use blankets instead of a sleeping bag? I don't mean for arctic expeditions or backpacking, but for short walk bushy things or car camping.

And on the same vein does anyone have any web links to some good information on wool/material technology.

I really dislike sleeping bags, and rather like the idea of wool blankets, even though 40+ years ago when all I had were blankets, I was desparate to get a proper sleeping bag. But times have changed.

Last night, in my, gets pretty cold at night house, I ditched my goose down quilt and slept under a dutch army blanket . Its long enough to double over at the top so from the waist upwards it was two layers of blanket, and I was in a silk sleeping bag liner.

I kept a quilt nearby, as I expected to wake up freezing, but in fact I was just as warm as I would have been under the quilt. The blanket weighs 2.8kg plus about 200g for the silk liner. Not much of a test but enough to make me think of pursuing this as I rather like the idea of using a wool blanket(s).

The insulating power of different wools vary, Mohair is meant to be 2.5 times warmer than ordinaly sheep wool. Alpaca is hollow and traps air so maybe a wool/alpaca mix might give a lighter option. Not a cheap option, but this isn't really about saving money.

Googling has thrown up very little about using blankets for camping/bushcrafting, or indeed wool properties, but I have been inspired to try and find out a bit more about the qualities of wool and to see how people have used (use) woolen blankets.

So would be interested in what people have to say on this.

Graham

When I was young and started out camping my mother always gave me a mohair blanket that weighed next to nothing to go inside the cheap sleepign bags we had. How I protested but she was right and I wish I still had that blanket now. I would imagine a decent mohair blanket inside a bivi bag would be sufficient for me most of the year. When car camping I used poncho liners a lot but I sold them in favour of a fibre pile blanket that I put tapes on so it can be attached to a poncho and I use this all the time now for hammocking and car camping. When I'm with my SWMBO we just throw it over us with the poncho side up, we even take it on day walks (although a bit bulky), it's great when we can sit down for a while and wrap it around us when birding or watching the deer. A mohair blanket would be my ideal choice but they are pretty scary prices:rolleyes:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
When i used to do WW2 reenactment we used them all the time to sleep in,sometimes with the canvas bedroll as well,to be honest they served quite well in most conditions although we did still have on our serge battledress etc, we used groundsheet/cape on the ground then wrapped ourselves in two blankets either inside a canvas bedroll or with another cape on top we tended to be a bit chilly in the winter but summer not really a problem.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Good link to the video scoops, thanks.

I've been considering a wool blanket for a while.

We used to use them all the time when I was young before quilts became the norm, strange how quickly we forget how to do things like use a blanket properly isn't it ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used a blanket quite a bit when I was a kid.

Along the way I've changed over to sleeping bags because of the weight but I still use blankets when I'm sleeping in the van ( Which I've done down to -11c in Scotland )

Ounce for ounce a down bag is going to win, but for resilience and comfort give me some wool blankets any day.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
It seems a similar story to my own from everyone in that we rather like blankets but gone the sleeping bag route because of weight and bulk.

An interesting video and I might see if I can do that, but I can't say I like the idea of being so tightly bound into the blanket.

They are selling Mohair blankets here at half price (£75), as long as you like rose

http://www.thewoolcompany.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=52&category=60

Looks as if it should weigh in at about 1.6kg for a single blanket.

They also do a merino blanket with the same weight and at £80 becasue its full price. But if the Mohair being 2.5 times as warm as wool is correct then the mohair should be a much better weight to warmth ratio.

But its a long way from the £12 I paid for the dutch army blanket.

Graham

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland
I sometimes use a DPM Poncho Liner also known as a ranger blanket in summer, It is just a blanket that can be tied into a poncho to form a waterproof and warm sleeping bag its good for the Hammock to,Its very light warm and will compact down very small.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I sometimes use a DPM Poncho Liner also known as a ranger blankets in summer, It is just a blanket that can be tied into a poncho to form a waterproof and warm sleeping bag its good for the Hammock to,Its very light warm and will compact down very small.

Is that wool or a quilted thing. The ones I have seen have been quilted but I think they were wool blankets at one time.

Graham

I wouldn't go that far...:rolleyes: The US issue ones are extremely thin and not at all warm, but it's all relative.

A bit bulkier, still stays warm in the wet and all for under a tenner.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...kiemuir014.jpg

I don't know how to link to another thread but if you type in a search for "ulitmate underblanket", you'll see my thread on how to make a dual purpose underblanket/poncho liner.

WS

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
but I can't say I like the idea of being so tightly bound into the blanket.

You and me both. I like to move around a bit when I sleep to the extent that even normal sleeping bags are a bit too restrictive for my tastes. I can reccomend the Mountain Equipment "TDS" bags with the elasicated baffles. Sounds like a gimic but it really works for me.

Scoops

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
You and me both. I like to move around a bit when I sleep to the extent that even normal sleeping bags are a bit too restrictive for my tastes. I can reccomend the Mountain Equipment "TDS" bags with the elasicated baffles. Sounds like a gimic but it really works for me.

Scoops

For a long time we have used our sleeping bags unzipped, except for the bottom foot or so, like quilts. Last year we bought a couple of these

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular Quilts.htm#Hudson River

Given that the down is crushed underneath you anyway the bottom half of the bag doesn't seem to serve much purpose. Having said that I still feel a full bag has advantages in terms of stopping cold spots from drafts and the downy bits that don't crush filling in gaps.

But as a sleeping experience the quilts are great.

Graham

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Restriction in sleeping bags is seemingly a big concern for a lot of folks. I have amassed a range of sleeping bags over the last 20 years. Included in them are a mountain equipment tds bag which is great if a little bulky, and a Snugpak bag that has a gusset extension that zips in or out depending on how you feel this one is a summer bag and works well.

Last night I bivvied out and was very uncomfortable but warm due to feeling 2 hemmed in.
My buddy used a summer bag with a fleece sleeping bag and he was warm also but had problems with ruckling and slipping.

Has anyone heard of Montbell who do fully elasticated bags?

I feel in terms of winter bivvying it might just be worth the investement for the comfort as i really enjoyed it that or I lose about 3 stone!!!!

Andy

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
For years now, all I've used is a down ultralight backpacking quilt and, in extremely cold weather or heavy snow, a medium weight wool blanket (actually more of a traditional matchcoat size than full blanket size).

Together this pair has taken me through the worst and coldest weather the Sierras and Rockies can throw at you.

In coolish weather, I'll often just take the matchcoat -- it weighs about the same as the down quilt. I've never for a moment missed my sleeping bag.

In all weather, I also backpack with a light wool longhunter shirt -- open front -- which can cover most of my body when opened if I find I need more layers when sleeping.

In all, I find this to be a very flexible sleeping system that adapts to all northern climates nicely.

One note on wool blankets -- for the about a year now, I've been using an alpaca blanket (sustainable export from Peru) and I've found it to be 1/2 the weight of an equivalently warm wool. Soft and light, it's also warm when wet (important to me). So consider that as a option too -- 2,000 years of use in the Andes qualifies as a valid field test to me :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
For years now, all I've used is a down ultralight backpacking quilt and, in extremely cold weather or heavy snow, a medium weight wool blanket (actually more of a traditional matchcoat size than full blanket size).

Together this pair has taken me through the worst and coldest weather the Sierras and Rockies can throw at you.

In coolish weather, I'll often just take the matchcoat -- it weighs about the same as the down quilt. I've never for a moment missed my sleeping bag.

In all weather, I also backpack with a light wool longhunter shirt -- open front -- which can cover most of my body when opened if I find I need more layers when sleeping.

In all, I find this to be a very flexible sleeping system that adapts to all northern climates nicely.

One note on wool blankets -- for the about a year now, I've been using an alpaca blanket (sustainable export from Peru) and I've found it to be 1/2 the weight of an equivalently warm wool. Soft and light, it's also warm when wet (important to me). So consider that as a option too -- 2,000 years of use in the Andes qualifies as a valid field test to me :)

In fact that is similar to what I actually do, in that I have 3 season sleeping bag/quilt plus a blanket when its cold. The difference is that I am thinking of reversing this and using a blanket as normal, with the quilt added in cold weather. Good to hear of how you use your system in practice.

And yes, Alpaca looks good (in fact I mention it in my original post).

I didn't know what a match coat was , so just googled that.

Graham

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
And on the same vein does anyone have any web links to some good information on wool/material technology.

apparently the warmest type of wool is ''Angora'' from Angora Rabbitts, 21/2 times warmer than sheep wool, it has the highest heat retension and best moisture-wicking properties of any natural fiber, see this link added on ''guide to wool properties'' http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/wool-guide.html

Jhenry

Feb 2, 2009
Ozarks
I have used both quite bit. The US issue bags are very durable and warm, but large and bulky. Of course when you are freezing and without, bulky becomes a non issue. Commericial bags are something we are all relatively in tune with. As for blankets, when I used to do French and Indan War re-enactments along with same period historical trekking, I used a Whitney Lachine wool blanket. Not as good as a good bag, but hell for stout. If you wrap yourself in right and use a blanket pin you are OK for the night. They do attract leaves and forest litter like mad.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've used blankets quite a bit, down to a few degrees below freezing. For real warmth I use a "rya" style rug (IKEA, think all wool fake fur) with an army blanket over it. This was quite nice wearing just wool socks and a knitted cap, on top of a couple of reindeer hides. But bulky to pack if one was walking far. I might still pick it for a "years in the wilderness, sleeing in rought shelters and near fires" scenario, or if it is only a short trip an not a lot of other things to carry.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yes and no, is my answer.
I have a sleeping bag, but I use it like a blanket/duvet. I find being stuck in a sleeping bag uncomfortable (I'm a fidgetter), and it's easy to get out of in the middle of the night and answer the call of nature if used like a blanket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE