Biting bear free from stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It was supposed to be the mean type of bear but although it does bite but it does look rather cartoonesque now.

I'll probably sand him too, not sure yet. I used a bushcraft knife and some hand powered drills to make the cavity between his legs, the eyes and the nostrils. The front claws aren't really finished I just haven't found the right way to do it yet...

Wood might be horse chestnut according to some, although Robbi thought it might be cherry and a gardener friend said it looked like a prunus of some sort.:confused: Ah who cares.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Great bear and looks more fierce in the second picture with the sky above.

Apart from his nasty bite. How's that healing. Good I hope

Thanks mate. Well yesterday it was all red and swollen and a and a substance came out that is best described as strongly resembling pine resin. Nurse took the stitches out and rubbed betadine or something into it yesterday and now I'm not allowed to take the bandage of. And I want to look how it's doing!:bluThinki I'm sure it'll be fine by the end of the week though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A totem pole for very small Native Americans. Really good work Niels, "smarter than the average bear". Your good at this.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I like your bear, maybe he decided not to look mean after all he did to your thumb :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Now with a mix of linseed oil and darkbrown oil paint. Shows my lack of skill and patience in taking all the scratches out. But I like the scratches. They give it some neolithicalityism:

I like the feet the best:):

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Looking good Niels, like the way you're messing with our ideas of scale and perspective in the photo's.

I am? I mean, yes, yes, I definately am. Just to give some clarity though, it's just about a cm shorter than my knife. So about 19 cm high and 5 cm wide.

I'd love to do a big one someday though, from a log though like that big woodspirit that's been posted by woodspirits.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE