Bit of a bimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I tried my luck at hobo fishing, which I'd never been succesful at despite many attempts. But I got so lucky!

Both were just big enough to eat. So I cleaned them and took them home. Ever since that my mother's been complaining about the smell. I don't smell a thing, I never have. A shame in some cases but right now it's probably a good thing.

Also saw a harbour porpoise for the first time in the Krabbenkreek, which is a saltwater kreek going around my island. And I saw a kingfisher yesterday for the second time in my life, which may not be very rare in the UK, but it's probably the rarest bird around here that I know of.:)

And I saw the mother of all rats. I'm not the one who killed by the way, I think a car did. Slightly graphic:

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks gents. Just finished eating they were very tasty. I didn't want to waste meat filetting them so I sort of filleted them while eating.

A man walked by looking at me as if I was insane:rolleyes:
If only he had seen those fish in my backpack. I think they were both around 20 cm which is pretty big by my standards:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well caught Niels, something you got yourself always tastes sweeter doesn't it. How big is your island? And is it fairly flat or will rising sea levels leave you treading water? Did you have to lean and cook outside or were you allowed in to cook at least?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Well caught Niels, something you got yourself always tastes sweeter doesn't it. How big is your island? And is it fairly flat or will rising sea levels leave you treading water? Did you have to lean and cook outside or were you allowed in to cook at least?

It's the island of Sint Philipsland. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Philipsland_(eiland)
You can walk around it in about half a day and it's around 23 square km overall. It's technically not an island anymore, but a peninsula. But everybody still calls it an island.
There's a freshwater channel on one side in a creek of which I caught these perches.
The rest of the island is surrounded by salt marshes which do flood every 12 hours.

So despite me complaining about the Netherlands all the time I am lucky to be living in this part of it. :)

I was allowed to cook them inside but she complained about the smell a lot.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Good catch. Thanks for sharing. Is hobo fishing legal over there then? I.e. without a rod?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure. They aren't mentioned in the law. Most Dutch bushcrafters agree however, that not many policemen will bother you for this if you do have a fishing license.

Besides, since I don't have the right to vote against laws, the only motivation for me to keep them is the threat of a fine,
rather than morals in many cases. ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's the island of Sint Philipsland. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Philipsland_(eiland)
You can walk around it in about half a day and it's around 23 square km overall. It's technically not an island anymore, but a peninsula. But everybody still calls it an island.
There's a freshwater channel on one side in a creek of which I caught these perches.
The rest of the island is surrounded by salt marshes which do flood every 12 hours.

So despite me complaining about the Netherlands all the time I am lucky to be living in this part of it. :)

I was allowed to cook them inside but she complained about the smell a lot.

Looks a nice place to live, nice that you can sea and fresh water fish so close to home.

I know you pride yourself on your English and "Perch" is one of those odd words like "Sheep" where is can be singular or plural. So it would be "...caught those perch." ;)

On the fish smell in the house, a pan of water with some vinegar and a cinnamon stick simmering on the stove top will help whilst cooking. I like the fish smell but hey!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I really need to learn to fish, just one of those things I never got into as a kid and haven't bothered with since.

Thanks! You just need line and a twister. And a place with perch:) Just let the twister go with the current and make it go up and down a bit it's very easy.

I know you pride yourself on your English and "Perch" is one of those odd words like "Sheep" where is can be singular or plural. So it would be "...caught those perch." ;)

It should indeed be. Thanks:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE