Birch Cups and Hazel spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Been doing a little more carving of late. Decided to have another go at Kuksa, as past attempts have always looked awful.
This first one I did at christmas and was pretty pleased with it, my carving seems to have improved a lot over the last year or so.

kuksa.jpg

This one I finished last week and I think its even better than the first.

birch-cup.jpg

Next project will be an eating bowl in the style of a quaich for myself if I can find a piece of wood big enough.

This spork was done for a young lady who only eats with sporks at home, but never had a wooden one. It was carved in about 20 mins whilst I was demonstrating at Cotswold outdoors, in Maidstone.

spork.jpg

And this final one is a bit of a departure for me, I decided to see if I could carve a bent spoon out of a straight piece of Hazel. I like this one so much it has become my personal eating spoon :D

paddle-spoon-1.jpg

paddle-spoon-2.jpg

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
very nice carvings there bardster, I will have to pick your brains at the moot, I very much like your spoon, but I fancy a kuska for non alcoholic drinks in the night, haha, cheers the interceptor boy.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
love them spoons mate, its the shape, a bit different to what you normally see, and just looks like you want to eat your corn flakes with it.
take care.
lee.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
They look real good Bard.
My oak spork split when I was just finishing it off this week, knife was too thick for between the spikes .

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
I like that second kuksa very much in particular!

Looking forward to having a go myself. Got a piece of silver birch I picked up on Boxing Day that I'm dying to have a hack at... Need an axe. And an edge on the Mora 164 I recently took delivery of. :p

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I like that second kuksa very much in particular!

Looking forward to having a go myself. Got a piece of silver birch I picked up on Boxing Day that I'm dying to have a hack at... Need an axe. And an edge on the Mora 164 I recently took delivery of. :p

Didn't usse an axe on any of the above ;) Just sayin' :D :D

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
indeed, sounds like its indeed sharp enough, but perhaps a strop on some leather with give you that hair shaving edge should you need it.

Here's a laugh, I have found what I think was my very first spoon, carved about ten years ago....
first-spoon.jpg

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
As I said on BB Paul it is a fine spoon; definate improvement there!

why no axe for roughing out? is it a minimalist/purist approach to tooling?

Last edited:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
As I said on BB Paul it is a fine spoon; definate improvement there!

why no axe for roughing out? is it a minimalist/purist approach to tooling?

Not really, Its just I don't have a chopping block in the living room :D Too noisy on the wooden floors. When it comes to spoons, I can rough out an eating spoon with a knife just as quickly as with an axe, and there is less clean up of the lines and curves with a knife. Not quite as quick with Kuksa's but not too shabby either. I need to improve my axework and gain confidence in using it for carving. That and the adze I have on order will make bigger bowls easier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE