bio-ethanol as alternative to meths for half-price

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
At the local B&Q, they're selling fireplaces that run on bio-ethanol and so are selling the stuff in the fireplace area. It took a few visits to the store for other things before the penny dropped - bio-ethanol £5 for 2 litres, meths £2.95 for 1/2 litre.

This stuff:

ethanol3_zps65e0d24d.jpg

Since it's purpose is for burning and it's 95% ethanol as per meths, I thought I would see if it would work in my coke can and svea stoves.

In short, it seems exactly the same. Flame looks the same, smells slightly different and stronger and also seemed to catch light much easier but that might be because I experimented in the shelter of a sink bowl in a warm house.

I then googled to see what results others had had. There was talk about it burning without soot so I tried a water boil to see what it would do to the pots.

altered Swedish trangia brazia

ethanol2_zps8441ae8d.jpg

Clean pot to start

ethanol1_zps1f7b8cfa.jpg

Standard meths-like burn

ethanol5_zps6f7f287b.jpg

ethanol6_zpsc104a7d7.jpg

At the end, a meths-like dirty pot bottom. Easily cleaned with fine wire wool ready for the next garden adventure :)

ethanol7_zpsfb18e1cf.jpg

Conclusion: Burns like meths, soots like meths, no disadvantages that I can see but costs less than half the price.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Great (tight) minds think alike ;)

I've been using it for a while, both in a trangia and my home made burners. One thing to watch for is it 'seems' slightly more volatile/vulnerable to heat feedback. When i enclose my home made semi pressurised stove in its windshield, the bio ethanol flares up a bit more. Its not a mega difference though....

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I buy Bio Ethanol in 20tr drums and it's 99.9% virgin (whatever that means!).
I buy 40 ltrs at a time and it works out at about 50p per Ltr.

It's much better than Meths as there's no smell at all so it doesn't taint things.

I'm down to my last 25 Ltrs now but it should last a fair while yet.
photo.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmmm... interesting meths is only £3 a litre up here, I know life's expensive in London. But a price hike on meths too?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There's nowt wrong with bio-ethanol, in fact, its cleaner to your cookware and you don't get the horrible soot/smell
that you get with meths.

I used pure ethanol in my stove for around 2 years.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mica hardware stores will fill a 5L container of meths for £9 which isn't too bad

I'm still working my way through a 5L tub of methanol I bought last year on ebay, £16 for 5L delivered

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Thanks for the tip off Shewie, just checked the mica website and theres one in otley, I will be getting myself 5litres next time I am in the area.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I think most of the other 5% is something to add some orange colour to the flames - perhaps isopropyl alcohol - I think methanol would not produce the desired orange colour

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Is Bioethanol denatured? In the OP's post it said the Ethanol content was 95%. The other 5% would surely have to be Methanol no?

Steve.

Not sure what exactly goes in and in what quantities but Ethanol is alcohol, to stop it from being drank they do put poison /s into the mix, like I said, not sure what and in what quantities.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Would like to know why they don't have to put the purple dye into the Bio-Ethanol? Also wonder if Bitrex is added? Is this stuff just colourless Meths?

Steve.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Retail bio ethanol is just another form of denatured alcohol (methylated spirits). The regulations and formulations are specified in detail in the following:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1524/schedule/made

All ethanol sold in retail outlets must conform to these regulations. I'm surprised they aren't required to add the dye to more easily identify it as not fit for human consumption. Note that here in the USA, there is no requirement to add dyes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE