Billy cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would say a set of Bulldogs...:)...thats if you find a set for sale

But I am biased as I got a set..

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Another vote for the Zebra range. I'd used mess tins for years and swore by them until I got myself the Zebra. One of those bits of kit I'd never part with now, pouring difficulties aside!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Zebra, Tatonka, Bulldog copies, Mors Pot, Snow Peak, loads to go at.

Or you could scour the bargain shops looking for stainless biscuit barrels, tea/coffee.sugar pots etc, a bit of coat hanger for a bail arm and away you go.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a zebra and they're great, so are MSR I've got the alpine stowaway and a Mors pot has been ordered so I've got something to look forward too! :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I stopped using billy cans as I found them too narrow to cook in properly and swapped to the Tatonka 1.6 paired with a small kettle.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think that the msr stoway is made by zebra and sold as the lunch box. Sure that's what I have my woodgas stove in

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NESTING-B...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255202148d Bulldog clones, all you need and a dam sight cheaper than Tat onka or Zebra.

I've got a set of them. Got them when trying to talk 'er indoors' into coming with me. The small can is ok for solo use as is the middle size. The lid of the middle size can take around 400ml of water so all ya need is a cheapo home made lid to fit the lid, and you have a way to boil a brew while using the main can to cook with.

The complete set is good for two or three people. Lightweight for sure but they're okay.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2, 4, 6 pint nesting pots for under £17 delivered...whats not to like.

Been around for years....... used by many... had mine about 30 years :).. Ok perhaps not quite the same as mine are the real Bulldog set.. :)..

Seen loads of them in use, and know loads that like them....

Depends on what you want...

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I recently made the change from nearly 2 decades of faithful service from my mess tins to a billy can :D
I splashed out and bought a Zebra 14cm. They're quite heavy but seem very durable, which is what I wanted. The mess tins have set a high standard and I expect the billy can to now serve me until the peace of the grave.
I'm guessing the nesting set in the ebay link that rik_uk3 posted will be lighter and perhaps more similar to British Army mess tins as they are aluminium.
To my shame, I haven't yet Christened it in fire yet as I haven't been out camping for months :sigh:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I stopped using billy cans as I found them too narrow to cook in properly and swapped to the Tatonka 1.6 paired with a small kettle.

I use the same set up. I also keep a Honey stove under the kettle and a Trangia burner inside the kettle. Very versatile :).

I previously used a set of those nesting billy's linked by Rik, I've had them a few years now and they are very good given the price tag. Looking pretty beaten up now as the metal is quite dinged and the butterfly handles on the lids have fallen off.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The originals of the linked one go for stupid amount on ebay, one set went for over £100 recently

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Another vote for home made billies from SEAMLESS stainless steel biscuit barrels, coffee/ tea/sugar sets. Charity shop bargains with coat-hanger/knitting needle/fencing wire bails have been my standard kit for years and I do not seem to be able to kill them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE