Billhook Sheaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Not being into leather working a great deal (mainly because there are so many folks out there who do a waaaay better job than me!), I've been putting off making a sheath for a whole now. Since I've had a few free evenings, I thought I'd bite the bullet and rustle up a simple billhook sheath for my S&J Kitchin, which is my 'go-to' tool for when I'm clearing camp etc. I rate billhooks, mainly because I'm a sucker for traditional tools and the crafts associated with them, but also because they're reasonably light, and very versatile, not to mention easy to sharpen on account of their medium-carbon blade.

I got fed up with wrapping an oily rag around my 'hook when packing, and soon discovered that this method invariably ended up with either a damaged hand or damaged kit somewhere along the line. With this in mind, I set put to create something to keep the blade safe, whilst having the option to add a belt-loop at a later date if I decide I need one.

Enough of the waffle; here's a couple of snaps:

0218989b-5b35-9b95.jpg

0218989b-5b8d-641b.jpg

Construction was very simple; draw a template using the billhook, cut and shape the pieces and glue along the edges to be sewn. Follow up (when the glue is dry) by stitch-grooving, marking and punching the holes with an awl and subsequently sewing. The press-studs can be found at Dunelm, and come with the anvil and setting tool, all you need to do is punch the holes accordingly.

The whole thing was given three light coats with Fieblings medium brown, whilst the edges were coated and slicked after an application of Fieblings brown Edge Kote. A liberal application of Carnauba Cream (again by Fieblings) gave the finished satin sheen.

Hopefully, if nothing else, it'll give some of you thinking of making one an idea or two about making your own.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice work.

I have an old billhook which I brought back from the dead and I thought it needed a sheath. You just inspired me to have a bash at making one.

Top man!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Many thanks guys, I'm glad you approve. Much of the technique has been copied from the wealth of knowledge both here, and on British Blades. Only until recently though, did I realise how vital a sharp awl is. And by sharp I mean really sharp!....Just looking at it can draw blood kinda sharp >:)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Many thanks guys, I'm glad you approve. Much of the technique has been copied from the wealth of knowledge both here, and on British Blades. Only until recently though, did I realise how vital a sharp awl is. And by sharp I mean really sharp!....Just looking at it can draw blood kinda sharp >:)

Actually I just thought; what you need to make now is another one with a sleeve for the cigar stone!

Bushy knife and firesteel?

Pah! What you need is a billhook!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice work. I have become very fond of my billhook recently and have never taken it out with me for the very same reason, no sheath, yet i have a load of veg tan sat here... Time to pull me finger out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE