Billhook Regional Patterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
There's been a fair bit of chat recently about billhooks and their uses when out and about, but I was wondering if anyone had, or could please point me to a reasonably definitive list of the regional billhook patterns by any chance?

I know I've seen a poster before, I think by Elwell, but I can't find it for toffee now :(

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would love to see that my self. I have a billy that i think is great but could do without so much of a hook on the end as i use it for roughing out and the hook can catch on the block and the work.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
you can only trust the makers catalogues for the patterns, far to many of the ones you can buy second hand have normaly been butched with an angle grinder because either the guys arm was to weak to handle a mans tools or he wanted it for a differant reason, like the poster below, wanting to de hook the end, the reason it has a long and hopefully sharp angled rightend hook is as hazel splay splitter or wither stripper it was not designed to be the point of chopping more of a small froe point,

we used to use tools that were brought as the larger un liked cheap version and then we used to recut and grind them to our own size and pattern, i like a curved hook with a sharp angled end and a back blade, but to stop it being to top heavy we used to re cut the blank so it was a max of 4" wide any more and it wobbles to much, i also liked a longer handle than my dad how liked a much much shorter tool as he was quicker with it , where as i was far to slow,

the one thing i dont see any more is the staple gloves for the left hand, does anyone use them any more ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE