Best way to setup a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I know this gets discussed to death but I'm always interested in how people set their tarps up. So lets say you have a 3x3 tarp (so a little large for some convenient configs), plenty of guyline and 2 walking poles but no trees! - what way would you set yours up.

I'm a fan of the this sort of setup because it gives plenty of shelter from the wind and rain, although it doesn't give so much room to sit around

hansel_bryan_090706-99-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I try to lassoo to whatever is at hand, here im on the side of a mound and using one walking pole

4337215881_1e7a44cef6.jpg

And here near the same spot its lassoed around the peak of two big rocks,
3691453909_1df7a99d55.jpg

if trying to bivy i like to find a bit of natural shelter, so can tie off to bushes, fence posts, gates, stone dykes, but if in the direct open then i would go with the shape that you have shown in your first post.

There used to be a tarpology pdf on the home page of the site, and Jed as done good demo of some at the moot.

rcastillo

Jul 10, 2009
London
Good link, great doc! Thanks, Dexter. Like eel28, I was keen to watch this thread having just bought my first tarp through the recent DD group buy.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I tried a few different styles on my first trip out. I had never put one up before and tried it for real on the side of the hill. I ended up with the only style I got to work after about half an hour of trying everything to get a taut shelter up. That was a simpe A frame with two trekking poles.

I'd have pasted a pic but can't do it.

The A frame had its back about 6-8 inches from the wall of a crag.Just enough room for a steep guyline and to squeeze out if needed. The front is open to the view towards the coast in the Lakes, The sides were a little off the floor but only about 2-4inches or so. It was a good pitch so anyone could have put something up there.

I intend to do the style with the back and sides to the ground and the front held open with two trekking poles later this year. There are styles where there is excess tarp which is tucked under to form your groundsheet. If you look on youtube there are vids of this and other styles.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I did a a tutorial quite some time ago that Sandbender kindly converted to pdf and Overlander30 has hosted. Follow this link and use the password 'bushcraft'. It is also available via woodsmoke here. It was supposed to be made available as a download from the BCUK main site but I've no idea whats going on with that. I'm gonna request that the link be made a sticky as I still get requests for it.

I would host it on my site, but don't have the space.

Hope you find it of use.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Some great links, thanks.

After some further experimentation I think My favourite setup is one of the numerous adaptations of the flying V where one corner attaches to a pole or tree and the other 3 corners peg to the ground. It's good in rain and strong wind and you can also use a pole to lift another corner to just sit under.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE