Best Sea Foraging spots in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Hello all, first post here.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a little advice on the best areas for sea foraging in Scotland. I recently really got interested in the whole bushcraft thing, and I've always had an interest in sea life/food in general, so it has really been appealing to me lately. If it helps, I'm located in Renfrew, so I would have access to any area with in or around Renfrewshire as a whole. Of course I can travel further than that but I thought it's best to mention in case I'm missing anything fairly local. I am VERY familiar with Dunoon also as I've been going since I was a baby, so anywhere in and around Argyll as a whole would probably be good also.

The main things I'm wanting to find are mussels and any other kind of small creatures, which I know are obviously fairly common - but I'm also hoping to go out my way to come across things such as crabs and maybe even lobster if that's possible. I notice that amazon have a lot of very cheap crab/lobster catchers, so I may invest in a few of those.

Any kind of advice for this as a whole would be great also.

Cheers for any replies :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You live near a few bits of water known to have american crayfish in them. They're free to trap with a license and proper kit. Plenty of places near there to fish also. The sandy beaches at arrochar are full of razor clams which are free to take. There are lots of rabbits in the kilpatrick hills if you have proper traps and set them away from the public and other wildlife.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1301475.pdf

Tonyuk

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
You live near a few bits of water known to have american crayfish in them. They're free to trap with a license and proper kit. Plenty of places near there to fish also. The sandy beaches at arrochar are full of razor clams which are free to take. There are lots of rabbits in the kilpatrick hills if you have proper traps and set them away from the public and other wildlife.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A1301475.pdf

Tonyuk

Wow, I would have never known that. That's great news! Is there anywhere specifically that you could name for me that have these american crayfish? Is a license hard to get and does it cost at all? I'm not too interested in the proper 'hunting' aspect of bushcraft (I guess you could call it), I'm just not brave enough just yet, haha. I really want to give sea foraging and fishing a go though, very soon at that. Are the crab/lobster catchers from amazon that I was talking about good enough for these american crayfish?

Cheers for your help, I really do appreciate it. :eek:

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
There are issues with the American signal crayfish, though they can be good eating if you like shellfish, but please do some reading and get an understanding of the scope of the problem ?

http://www.snhpresscentre.com/briefings/crayfish

http://www.clyderiverfoundation.org/tag/american-signal-crayfish/

M

Yeah I just recently became aware of that after doing a wee bit of searching myself. Thanks for the disclaimer though, haha. While I'm here typing, are there any specific books or anything along those lines that you would recommend, that could help me? Just anything in general about sea food (probably more scottish sea food/life) in how to handle it, catch it and cook it from scratch?

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lad, I'm so the wrong one to ask….I'm allergic to fish :eek: :rolleyes: :D
I know about the signal crayfish because I was asked about making traps for them, so had to go and suss out the rights and wrongs of it….and that there were a couple of threads on the forum that got a bit heated over the topic :sigh:

You know about the bushcraft schools ? ones where you go and do courses. There are some truly excellent teachers pretty much on your doorstep and not that far away are some others that come highly regarded. Might be an idea for a good birthday or Christmas present if family chip in ?
Happy to recommend folks for you.

Anyway, fishing….the Clyde can be dodgy. My bother says that he caught eight different varieties around the Ailsa Craig one day and every one of them was a mutant or riddled with cysty things…..so either those old munitions are really doing no good, or the other Toddy had a truly bad day's fishing :dunno:

On the other hand you can look over the weir at Bothwell / Blantyre and watch the salmon, so there's a lot of health returned to the river too.

There are angling associations along the Clyde…under one umbrella, have a look here
http://www.ucapaltd.com/index.html

Shellfish, to be honest you need to find locals who forage them, and eat them…..that's the important bit, that they know that eating them is safe where they're gathering. No sewage or works outflows kind of thing. Ask them why. Ask them the how and when of it, and then see where else you can wander to spot the signs. There's no magic read this and you'll know it all. It's a slow build up of knowledge and skills, and no one knows it all, but some are incredibly capable.

The sea lochs are pretty clear I'm told though (watch for drains below houses! a lot of the old ones just ran straight into the sea), and there's always mackerel, or away up the hills to the wee lochs and try your hand for the trout. Small but tasty…..I've never used a rod or line in my life, I was taught to guddle the trout from the burns when I was little….hear? there's a skill you could try :) not many have the patience or ability to do it nowadays, but you don't need any kit but patience and quietness to do it right.

What are you doing with yourself ? going on in education or apprenticeship ?

M

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have a look at the Galloway wild foods chap. I've yet to go on one of his courses but his website and social media is a wealth of information.
As Toddy says, get yourself on a course or 2, there is nothing better than first hand knowledge, and you'll soon be able to spot the signs and tells for what you're after. It also helps with understanding the legal side of things, where you can and can't go, what and when you can and can't collect.
Huge furry whatshisname does a pretty good range of books, River Cottage Handbooks. No5 Edible Seashore and No6 Sea fishing.
Hope that helps and don't forget seaweed, Sea lettuce is wonderful dry toasted onto of a stove.

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Lad, I'm so the wrong one to ask….I'm allergic to fish :eek: :rolleyes: :D
I know about the signal crayfish because I was asked about making traps for them, so had to go and suss out the rights and wrongs of it….and that there were a couple of threads on the forum that got a bit heated over the topic :sigh:

You know about the bushcraft schools ? ones where you go and do courses. There are some truly excellent teachers pretty much on your doorstep and not that far away are some others that come highly regarded. Might be an idea for a good birthday or Christmas present if family chip in ?
Happy to recommend folks for you.

Anyway, fishing….the Clyde can be dodgy. My bother says that he caught eight different varieties around the Ailsa Craig one day and every one of them was a mutant or riddled with cysty things…..so either those old munitions are really doing no good, or the other Toddy had a truly bad day's fishing :dunno:

On the other hand you can look over the weir at Bothwell / Blantyre and watch the salmon, so there's a lot of health returned to the river too.

There are angling associations along the Clyde…under one umbrella, have a look here
http://www.ucapaltd.com/index.html

Shellfish, to be honest you need to find locals who forage them, and eat them…..that's the important bit, that they know that eating them is safe where they're gathering. No sewage or works outflows kind of thing. Ask them why. Ask them the how and when of it, and then see where else you can wander to spot the signs. There's no magic read this and you'll know it all. It's a slow build up of knowledge and skills, and no one knows it all, but some are incredibly capable.

The sea lochs are pretty clear I'm told though (watch for drains below houses! a lot of the old ones just ran straight into the sea), and there's always mackerel, or away up the hills to the wee lochs and try your hand for the trout. Small but tasty…..I've never used a rod or line in my life, I was taught to guddle the trout from the burns when I was little….hear? there's a skill you could try :) not many have the patience or ability to do it nowadays, but you don't need any kit but patience and quietness to do it right.

What are you doing with yourself ? going on in education or apprenticeship ?

M

Well, I just typed out a massive reply and then I got made to log back in... hopefully I can remember more a less what I said the first time haha.

Hahaha, oops :eek: Yeah I found all those threads after I had been given the suggestion about the crayfish bellow. I just searched crayfish in scotland and all of them were from here.

Yeah I've heard about those schools. It probably is best for me to just get out and do one of those - Although (And this probably does sound like a very silly thing for someone my age), my main problem is that I'm a very anxious person. I don't do well on asking questions, or even speaking in general. I have been working on it a lot recently and I actually feel pretty good for the first time in a while, so I'm guessing that it just takes a little growing up to do, haha. I reckon that I could probably afford one of them on my own actually, I just need to get a few bits and bobs out the way first (Buying equipment for this and things like that). Go ahead, recommendations would be great! Even anywhere near Dunoon would be good for me. I know the place well because I've been going basically since I was born, plus the wee place is just brilliant for scenery and nature anyway.

I thought that about the clyde too. Though, I do see a lot of people fishing in my local area (River Cart which is part of the clyde) during summer time. Maybe it's worth a shot to see what it's like first?

Those are great places you're recommending but I would have to do looking into it all first as I'm not too good with knowing exact locations (Especially when I haven't been before). I would also have to figure out how to get there as my only choice would either be the bus or going with my Granda in the car. The car would be best, but I just don't know if my granda would want to do that sort of thing with me. Usually when we go out to places like that it's just for a nice walk, scenery and nature. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look on that.

Oh also, how would you go about finding out if the waters are good (Sewage and all that)? I want to give the clyde a go before just completely giving up on it.

I'm not too sure what guddle is, but I was looking into making a DIY rod since I've been interested in getting into bushcraft lately.

Currently I'm not really doing anything. My mum has a lot of health problems, so for now I just help out and get carers allowance until I start a job or new course. I've done many courses since leaving school but I haven't been able to complete any because of that anxiety problem I mentioned above, and of course that effects motivation also. I actually have an interview at college tomorrow about another IT course, so I'll see how that goes. Before I got accepted for that interview I was looking for fish mongering apprenticeships and courses, but asking about on the internet only got me so far though (I did get a lot of help, it's just best to ask in person I think). I did do a forestry course which I enjoyed a lot, so I'm hoping my drive for bushcraft will maybe replace that even if it is just a hobby. I'm also very interested in leathwork which I plan on getting a start at, but I'm thinking that will just be another hobby also.

Thanks very much for your help, I really do appreciate it. :eek:

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Have a look at the Galloway wild foods chap. I've yet to go on one of his courses but his website and social media is a wealth of information.
As Toddy says, get yourself on a course or 2, there is nothing better than first hand knowledge, and you'll soon be able to spot the signs and tells for what you're after. It also helps with understanding the legal side of things, where you can and can't go, what and when you can and can't collect.
Huge furry whatshisname does a pretty good range of books, River Cottage Handbooks. No5 Edible Seashore and No6 Sea fishing.
Hope that helps and don't forget seaweed, Sea lettuce is wonderful dry toasted onto of a stove.

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll have a wee look. :eek:

I've been looking at a few handbooks and been watching plenty of videos on youtube. ;)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hey Mate, looks like you really are trying to find your way in life :). Fair dues to you for giving it all a go. Funnily enough, i work in forestry (well Arb work these days) and my good lady is in IT. Be more than happy to offer some tips in either career choice (pm me if you have any questions away from the public domain).
We spend a lot of time in Scotland (not enough though), foraging and generally observing nature, and, while it could never be a career, it really is such a wonderful release to be able to forage for your own food and just being able to sit quietly and watch our natural world, then eat it, lol!
Anyway, good on you for wanting to get out there, and don't be shy in asking for advice on here, they generally are a pretty lovely bunch (hairy , but lovely).

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Hey Mate, looks like you really are trying to find your way in life :). Fair dues to you for giving it all a go. Funnily enough, i work in forestry (well Arb work these days) and my good lady is in IT. Be more than happy to offer some tips in either career choice (pm me if you have any questions away from the public domain).
We spend a lot of time in Scotland (not enough though), foraging and generally observing nature, and, while it could never be a career, it really is such a wonderful release to be able to forage for your own food and just being able to sit quietly and watch our natural world, then eat it, lol!
Anyway, good on you for wanting to get out there, and don't be shy in asking for advice on here, they generally are a pretty lovely bunch (hairy , but lovely).

I could tear up after reading that, hahaha. But seriously, thanks very much. :eek: The forestry course I had done was with a company called "Action for children" in glasgow, right next to Ibrox stadium. I enjoyed getting out and doing hand on things a lot, but as I said below, my anxiety got the better of me along with lack of motivation. When I was last in an IT course I got really motivated. I done research prior to it and learned how to use HTML and CSS before I even went in. Funnily enough, I'm currently sitting up past my bed time if I'm wanting to go to this interview tomorrow, rethinking it all. How pathetic of me, haha.

Honestly I only really applied for this course because my friends are going into it, and now I'm afraid to say I don't want to go because I have a reputation of backing out of things. I'm actually not nervous about it all that much, it's just that I don't want to go for an interview when it's not actually something I'm up for doing. I would much rather do the forestry stuff again, or somehow get into this bushcraft and foraging as a living if that's even possible.

Anyway... I'm probably boring you hahaha. I really appreciate your offer, cheers. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've now just read the first of Toddy's links in P#4, for the second time.

a) You aren't allowed to eat or sell dead crayfish as that might encourage their spread. (My observation: they spread really well without help and 'alive' has something to do with it).
Recommended that you bash their heads in and toss them into the bushes.
b) Scotland has not issued crayfish licences. (My obs: but you need a license to harvest them?)

Most confusing. Make a crop out of them. Sustained yield and harvest by the tonne.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Inconcievably, the more signal crayfish you take out of a river, the larger the population becomes. :confused: Read that somewhere, forget how it works.

I see kids catching them in buckets sometimes, when im fly fishing. Or see them under the water. If youre gonna use traps make sure they are the otter friendly types. Many that are sold are not.

Last edited:

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew

a) You aren't allowed to eat or sell dead crayfish as that might encourage their spread. (My observation: they spread really well without help and 'alive' has something to do with it).
b) Scotland has not issued crayfish licences. (My obs: but you need a license to harvest them?)

Most confusing. Make a crop out of them. Sustained yield and harvest by the tonne.

Yeah... very confusing. So, stupid question here, but are you allowed to catch them or not then? I'm tempted to do it anyway haha

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Inconcievably, the more signal crayfish you take out of a river, the larger the population becomes. :confused: Read that somewhere, forget how it works.

I see kids catching them in buckets sometimes, when im fly fishing. Or see them under the water. If youre gonna use traps make sure they are the otter friendly types. Many that are sold are not.

I actually watched a video on youtube a few hours ago - someone advertising otter friendly crayfish traps. At the moment I have no idea if I'm am or not allowed to catch and cook Crayfish, but I may just give it a go anyway.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I actually watched a video on youtube a few hours ago - someone advertising otter friendly crayfish traps. At the moment I have no idea if I'm am or not allowed to catch and cook Crayfish, but I may just give it a go anyway.

Youre supposed to get permisssion from the enviroment agency in England. Dont know about Scotland. If you take them out its illegal to put them back in England. But then again everythings illegal down here.Or odd rules.:rolleyes: Bit more research required perhaps on your part so you dont get your wrists slapped. ;)

Yu can actually just wade in, below your knees, turn over some stones, and pick them up, in the middle, or they'll nip ya. They are quite easy to find. And slow. [Thats probably not allowed though.] Although Ive seen kids with bucketfuls over the summer holidays on rivers.

Theyre very invasive I think Ive only seen one native crayfish, a whitish one when fishing the rivers.

Last edited:

DeBrus

Feb 19, 2017
Renfrew
Youre supposed to get permisssion from the enviroment agency in England. Dont know about Scotland. If you take them out its illegal to put them back in England. But then again everythings illegal down here.Or odd rules.:rolleyes: Bit more research required perhaps on your part so you dont get your wrists slapped. ;)

Yu can actually just wade in, below your knees, turn over some stones, and pick them up, in the middle, or they'll nip ya. They are quite easy to find. And slow. [Thats probably not allowed though.] Although Ive seen kids with bucketfuls over the summer holidays on rivers.

Theyre very invasive I think Ive only seen one native crayfish, a whitish one when fishing the rivers.

Yeah I definitely agree with you, I need to do a lot more research. The rules seem so confusing so far though. People saying you're not allowed to catch crayfish, others saying you can but you need a license, and then others saying it's too dangerous to actually eat. Hmmm, I'm not sure.

I'll definitely try remember what you said for when I finally try it though.

Cheers ;)

Hi Robson Valley. I would suggest not advising people to go against the law on this one. The SNH have a direct link on to the bushcraftuk site and the penalty when it comes to crayfish collection in Scotland can be very heavy. I do agree though that it would perhaps be better if some more appropriate licensing could be organised to tackle the issue.
I definately would NOT advise or suggest making a crop out of them as that is how a lot of the problem arose especially near where i live. Someone tried to keep them in big basins as a sort of crop to harvest and went to great length to make sure they would not get out. They got out and now we have a river system that runs through a SSSI and nature reserve full of them. At least the otters are munching on them

Yup sounds daft but their reasoning ,and i am only the messenger here (undecided on the theory), is that the larger majority of crayfish are tiny, too small for us to eat (thumnail size) but that the larger crayfish eat these smaller ones and thereby when we eat the big ones there is a population boom because not as many predators are keeping the small ones in check. Thats the theory

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
They spread for two main reasons... pressure of population increase and pressure from predation from a large population of predatory adult crayfish. There is no win win situation with signal crayfish, only lose lose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE