Best pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've been thinking about hootchies and I'm wondering what color/pattern you think is best. I've tried DPM and olive green and I think that at night the green simplyn melts into the shadows (so much that I've walked into it!). But what about aussie jelly bean? I've not tried that and I'd love to knowvwhat others think of it.

Thanks!

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I think Olive green. It looks a bit less military than anything with a cammo pattern. Which I think is a plus.

The original Australian Hoochie used to be Olive green!!

cheers

John

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That's what I though (although I normally use my DMP sheet because it's bigger). :-D

I'm surprised that Mr Mears uses the aussie pattern given the military look of it ... unless aussie jelly bean doesn't look military to our eyes! :shock:

Anyone got a closeup shot of the aussie pattern?

J

Jamie

Hey Adi

You can get a not so great look at the jelly bean pattern here (just click on the hootchie image found there) but will try and get a decent image to show it to you in situ asap (hopefully tonight sometime).

All the best

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
not the best one's but :

Australian-camouflage.jpg

auss-1.JPG

Colour_auscam.jpg

Hope it helps

Cheers
Carlo

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Aus Cam is the correct term for it.

It looks almost identical to the old ww2 us marine camouflarge. Which Is't suprising as I guess the Australian Armed Forces expect to fight on similar terrain.

quote:

"I'm surprised that Mr Mears uses the aussie pattern given the military look of it".

Well Ray seems to wear quite a bit of military looking kit. Often appearing green all over on the telly, He looked pretty green while suporting lord of the rings for example.

I guess he uses the Auscam Hoochie because it's recognised as the best of it's type and you can no longer get ( and therefore woodlore cannot sell) the old olive green Aussie hoochie.

While using camouflaged kit in the UK is not so much of a problem In some parts of the world it can be. Hence I'd go for plain green.

john

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for that John ... I knew it had to have a better name than jelly bean! :-D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
sargey said:
you don't think he's being a bit greedy with a granny b and a billhook then?

cheers, and.

Dear Sargey.

First of all and lets face it, the Billhooks is the supreme edged tool and the Granny B is in fact a Wetterlings................every good home should have one!

The Hootchie was erected when the gales were forecasted at the weekend and it lived to tell the tale.

Cheers

Jack.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Jack said:
sargey said:

cheers, and.

Dear Sargey.

First of all and lets face it, the Billhooks is the supreme edged tool and the Granny B is in fact a Wetterlings................every good home should have one!

The Hootchie was erected when the gales were forecasted at the weekend and it lived to tell the tale.

d'oh!

i did question the shape of the butt end of the helve as i typed that :roll: :-D that'll teach me to be a smart bottom!

i can't say as i have ever used that many guy lines on a basha. but if i was expecting bad weather i'd have rigged it as low as i could, or even grounded one side completely. but i bet the hurdles to be used as walls against the wind driven rain are just out of camera shot! :-D

cheers, and.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
sargey said:
Jack said:
sargey said:

cheers, and.

Dear Sargey.

d'oh!

i did question the shape of the butt end of the helve as i typed that :roll: :-D that'll teach me to be a smart bottom!

i can't say as i have ever used that many guy lines on a basha. but if i was expecting bad weather i'd have rigged it as low as i could, or even grounded one side completely. but i bet the hurdles to be used as walls against the wind driven rain are just out of camera shot! :-D

cheers, and.

Dear Sargey.

We used that many guy lines just to show how many there are and you would rig it low if you were using it for real- just thought that it showed it better like that and basically my six year old son, Jesse put most of of it and even cut the pegs with his BILLHOOK...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE