1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best adhesive plasters

Discussion in 'Kit Chatter' started by Adi007, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Adi007

Adi007 New Member

What's the best adhesive plasters for first aid kits? I've found that so many are just plain rubbish and fall off after a few minutes.

Op-Site is pretty good but it should be for the price - however, they are big and cumbersome and not suited for some cuts. Band-Aid stuff isn't too bad but they are badly affected by sweat or water.

Me, I'm leaning towards the old Elastoplast roll ... gets wet through but it stays on.

What do you use?

2. PC2K

PC2K Settler

mine favorite are the betadine plasters, they can stretch, will stay on you and don't leave adheisive on you wenn you remove them. Haven't had problems with it wenn wet. The disinfective betadine is a plus, but ot suitable for long periode's.

3. Adi007

Adi007 New Member

I wonder if we have those in the UK? Who makes them?

4. PC2K

PC2K Settler

i think the brand name is betadine, i don't know who sells them in the UK. They are quite easy to find in holland, though

5. Stuart

Stuart Full Member

The best ones I have used are made in china and are not sold in the UK
    they are increadably sticky and wont come off when wet (infact they are difficult to take off even when you want too :shock: )

when i was out in reunion island these were the only plasters that stayed on in the humidity

6. dtalbot

dtalbot Full Member

Elastoplast strips for the most part or some sterile dressing and a load of micropore stays put in most circumstances, particularly if you can wrap the micropore right round and back over its self.
    David

7. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Aha, something I know a bit about. Elastoplast fabric roll gets my vote. All you need it for is a little protection from dirt 'n muck for 24 hrs or so. Elastoplast stays put, even when wet. I find the plastic types make your skin sweat if they manage to stay on long enough. Strapple is a good adhesive tape, I use it a lot in hospital in preference to micropore for securing bandages etc. It's a fabric tape with better adhesive properties than micropore, but micropore is better for sensitive or delicate skin areas.

8. Martyn

Martyn New Member

My first aid kit...

1x roll of strapple
    1x roll of fabric plasters
    1x small scissors
    1x surgical tweezers
    4x steret alcohol swabs
    1x tampon
    1x 5ml bottle of betadine (povidone/iodine mix)
    2x 30mg codeine phosphate
    4x 450/10/30 mg Syndol (paracetamol/codeine/caffiene) :biggthump
    1x 2.0 silk suture
    1x scalpel blade
    1x medium guedel airway
    2x sterile cleansing wipes
    1x small vial potassium permanganate (great antifungal)
    2x 5cm x 5cm none absorbant dressings
    1x bandage roll
    1x blood stopper bandage
    1x pair of latex gloves

You can fit this lot into a small pack, about the size of a packet of cigarettes and it weighs in at just 200g.

9. Adi007

Adi007 New Member

Is this something I can buy without setting off alarm bells in a pharmacy?

I'll have to try and pick some of this up ... thanks!
    Thanks for the info Martyn!

10. C_Claycomb

Mod

I like the Elastoplast in the UK and Bandaids in the US. Both in flexible fabric. Neither stick if you try to put them on damp skin, and will fall off if you get them wet shortly after they are put on, but once they are properly stuck they stay that way!

For the times when I really don't want a plaster to move I use the Elastoplast zinc tape over the top.

11. Justin Time

Justin Time Native

12. Chopper

Chopper Native

I got a bottle in Boots, brill antiseptic only draw back is I cant catch my kids when I get it out of the kit, they run as thay have had it before, and STING!!!!!. :yikes:
    Got to be cruel to be kind,(he he he) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

13. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Hmmm, dunno, you should be able to, it's a general purpose antiseptic, though like JT says, you might have to buy a big bottle and decant it into a portable container. It's used a helluva lot in hospital, by the gallon, so I cant see you having a problem. It's no better as an antiseptic than bog standard iodine though, but the addition of povidone, takes that insane sting out of it. It still stings a little, but nothing near the evil pain of neat iodine. Strangely, I got my little 5ml plakky bottle of the stuff from Thailand.

14. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Oh, btw, in case anyone hasn't tried em, for over-the-counter analgesic, get Syndol. IMO, they are the strongest and most effective bar none. I'd even give em first shout over some prescription analgesics. Dont take em at work though, cos they have a tendancy to make you quite drowsy.

15. boaty

boaty New Member

Could I carry Martyn, carefully wrapped in the bottom of a bergen, as my first-aid kit? :lol:

Thanks for the Syndol tip, but what are the codeine phosphate tabs for? They're a type of analgesic as well right? Stronger?

16. Adi007

Adi007 New Member

Super advice Martyn ... many thanks!

17. MartiniDave

MartiniDave Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I'd like to add my thanks for this brilliant information. Cheers Martyn

Dave

18. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Yeah they are, or rather they should be, but to be honest, I think syndol are better, even though they contain less codeine. It's the mix of ingredients in syndol that seem to do it. I take the codeine along, because they're tiny and also because you can "top up" with them if you're in real pain (broken limb etc). There's a limit with syndol, because of the paracetamol content. A paracetamol overdose is one of the nastiest, it's very bad for your liver and suprisingly easy to do real liver damage. If you've ever seen anyone die from a paracetamol overdose, & the multiple organ failure secondary to it, you'd understand why I give it a lot of respect. Although to be lethal, you'd have to take quite a lot, you can do damage with a relatively small overdose.

19. Stew

Stew Bushcrafter through and through

I seem to remember a lecturer once telling me that if paracetemol was "invented" now, it wouldn't be allowed to be released! :-?

20. larry the spark

larry the spark Forager

I thought codeine on its own was illegal to buy over the counter without a presciption unless mixed with paracetamol/aspirin. How did you acquire your 30mg codeine phosphate, was it a previous presciption?