Belt with pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andrew_wales

Nov 2, 2015
Rhondda
Does anybody here use a belt with pouches or a "utility belt". I work in a prison and have been supplied with such a belt and have found it amazingly useful. I've looked at a few of the "bushcraft" type belts, but they are £100 or more.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sort of, I have adapted a number of small leather ammo pouches to be used in a variety of flexible ways with a leather belt. I have used what started out as French leather ammunition pouches, which I have customised, with a home made leather belt. I have adapted them to be able to hang below the belt, be attached to the belt or to attach to a shoulder strap worn Sam Browne style.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Yeah they certainly aren't cheap and that's why, coupled with wanting to learn the skill, I looked at just making my own stuff.

A belt in itself doesn't look too difficult to make and you can make a belt for £15 that you'd be charged £50 for in a 'bushcraft shop'.

I think the most reasonably priced vendor for stuff like that is Beneath the Stars. His stuff is great and frankly he must sell at the prices he does to benefit the community more than himself, because you couldn't make most of that stuff much cheaper even if you knew what you were doing.

I think he charges £18 for an axe loop for your belt. Leather. Not much more for a firesteel loop. Pouches may be a bit different, but still.

Those are the types of things that you keep on top of and they'll probably last you decades. So in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's too bad to pay a bit extra and get what you want the first time, something you know is bomb proof and something you know you can maintain.

I know what you mean about the belts though. My Aunt works at Whitemoor and her belt is pretty awesome!

andrew_wales

Nov 2, 2015
Rhondda
Yeah the pentagon is very similar to what I use in work. I do like the beneath the stars leather belt.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I saw the very shiny wolfwind leather works belt and pouches some time back and between the odd sale of some surplus gear, birthdays and xmas I put this together.

69565e1eb9647c8b5d9139ea604d731c.jpg
f8408b872a1dd00eb54ae356f55033fe.jpg
826f83c94cbeeb706644edcfaffe37fb.jpg

By no means a cheap solutions but very comfortable and a joy to behold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Lovely looking belt but wouldn't an entry level belt be simply the various things, like a lookalike Leatherman, that come in their own pouches threaded onto any sort of belt plus the empty pouches one seems to accumulate for a selection of other essentials?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw the very shiny wolfwind leather works belt and pouches some time back and between the odd sale of some surplus gear, birthdays and xmas I put this together....By no means a cheap solutions but very comfortable and a joy to behold!

Wow, chunky but nice, I really like that.

The buckle looks interesting can we have a pic of that please?

:)

In answer to the OP, I have a bum bag that sort of covers the utility belt angle, I only use it for day to day use or shorter walks in the hills and woods...

PB100003.JPG

...anything longer than 10 km and I'll use a rucksack instead.

Last edited:

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
I think it's down to each individual. What may be convenience to some is unnecessary to others, etc.

Personally I can't see myself having more than my knife, an axe loop and a possibles pouch on my belt. That may be excessive to some and minimalist to another(who may want a sheath for their Bahco, a drop pouch for edibles and so the list goes on).

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have experimented with various levels of belt kit. I have a full set of PLCE webbing I put together to use for stuff. But these days it sits in a box unused as it doesn't really work well with a pack, and it makes my bum too big...

I have a 2" wide leather belt I made myself on which I hang my Bahco laplander, and occasionally another knife. I don't tend to put much else on it, and I only wear it when I'm in the woods working on something. I have to take my pack off when I wear it as the two don't mesh well, it also isn't ideal with jackets etc... But for being able to just put my hand on my saw when I'm making something, it's great. It's just limited to only these situations really.

I would approach this from a different angle. What are you thinking you want to carry on your belt? Once you decide on that, you can then decide what sort of belt you want to use.

J

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Wow, that is a belt and a half, quite something, impressive.

Care to shock me with a cost indicator ? :rolleyes:

Well the belt itself (no pouches or sheathes) was bought for about £165 at the time however I think this has now gone up to about £175

It wont be everyone's cup of tea, especially at that price but it is stunning quality leather work.
Pouches average between £45 - 100

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Well the belt itself (no pouches or sheathes) was bought for about £165 at the time however I think this has now gone up to about £175

It wont be everyone's cup of tea, especially at that price but it is stunning quality leather work.
Pouches average between £45 - 100

That's a lot of money. I'd have at least tried to make the/a belt myself.

I think a lot of it, if you have the materials, is far cheaper. I've found out recently though that raw materials cost vs. end product cost from a vendor is quite enticing until you realise the amount of equipment you need to actually make it at that price.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
You could try a search on 'cordura tool belt' and variations on that including preferred manufacturers ... stanley, dewalt etc ... there is a ton of options, some with braces, which might be suggestive :) (vicar)

Just a thought if you are thinking of making your own. Make sure and get the right leather. I have bought a few (just one or two) pieces by well-intended first timers that just stretched like theraband because they'd used the wrong bit of the hide or something. I'm not expert.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a rig similar to Sandbender 's and have come to the same conclusion.

Although I like the idea of everything on a belt for quick access, I find a15 litre foldaway pack of messenger bag more efficient. This is ready packed a and showed in my rucksack and comes out for use as a daysack. A small possibles pouch moves from rucksack or daysack waist belt or harness to trouser belt as necessary. SAK, firesteel, whistle and matchcase on key ring in pocket attached to belt with lanyard.

Suits me.

Reactions: BushDaddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE