Beginners Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I am apologising in advance to all of you experienced people on the forum, who are probably going to roll their eyes and think we've done this before.
I have searched on the forum and can't find an answer, so i'm going to ask.

I recently traded and got my hands on a damascus blade. It needs handling and the blade needs cleaning up and polishing.

Pics below:

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

My question is this.

I read somewhere on the web that you have to be careful what you use to clean up and polish a damascus blade because you can damage the patterning, is this true, what do you use to clean, and how do you polish a damascus blade ??

BTW, I have put a quick handle wrap on the blade and I am thinking of putting a thin handle of ash on this as it is a wide handle, and I feel that a big handle would make it uncomfortable in my hands.

Well, there you go, all suggestions or help appreciated.

Thanks

Phill

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you can polish the blade as normal, or even go through the very fine grits of sand paper, however this will remove the "ETCH" which is what makes the lines visabel, but you could "RE-ETCH" after a good clean up.....

if it was me i would re-etch anyway, as this has been damaged by use from the looks of it, could just be the pic's though....???

you can buy the chemicals from evil-bay in powder/pellet form, but they can be dangerous to children and adults if the correct protective clothing and gloves are not worn....

if you choose to have a go PM me and i will try and sort you out full details and a how too.....;)

regards.

chris.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The pattern comes back by its self on my damascus blade just through normal use. I am sure a little lemon juice would speed it up if you are in a hurry.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you will need a stronger acid to get the black coating back to a good standard, either way you should polish well first before you attempt anything, then give it a good clean with meths to remove any grease....:)

good luck with it, the pattern is very nice so its worth doing.....;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE