Before camping got wimpy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful. A walk down memory lane. Some of the more modern glimpses into car camping remind me of my childhood.
Somewhere in our archives, pictures of my family lakeshore tent camping approx 1910.
They had homesteaded in 1884 on the Regina Plains, approx 20 miles south of Last Mountain Lake.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In North America, that camping activity became the stimulus from the preservation of spectacular scenic locations as National Parks and National Monuments.
It served its purpose well.

Maybe all too well as increasing tourism can't be accommodated nor serviced by staff, due to restrictive development planning,
even in the town sites. Jasper National Park is a classic case. Another few blocks of land for accomodations will not spoil the view
any more than what's there now. I'm close enough to drive over for the day but McBride is like Jasper except for the crowds and the prices.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I very much like this quote.

. “I suspect that many of us are, after all, really camping temporarily in civilized conditions; and that going into the wilderness is an escape, longed for, into our natural and preferred state,” wrote Warner.

A good sigline I think.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As it says - the campers usually hired a team of pack horses or burros .

Equipment in those days was bulky and very heavy. They brought with them lots of equipment we today would see as unnecessary luxury. Camp beds, stoves, large tents, lamps, cooking boxes...

I counter by saying that the Victorians were wimpy, compared to many of us.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

They got things done though. "I would like a bridge to drive my train across the Firth of Forth".

"No problem good sir, it'll be done for 8.00 tomorrow morning".

The era isn't renowned for being wimpy, but well renowned for ingenuity, exceptional planning and skill, and generally never defeated by a problem that appeared almost impossible.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They got things done though. "I would like a bridge to drive my train across the Firth of Forth".

"No problem good sir, it'll be done for 8.00 tomorrow morning".

The era isn't renowned for being wimpy, but well renowned for ingenuity, exceptional planning and skill, and generally never defeated by a problem that appeared almost impossible.

Same today, but with greater consideration to various factors like the environment.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had a lot of that early camping furniture = a table, three chairs, folding bed frame and a little folding camp stool which I kept.
Any vehicle would be overloaded with the furniture. They had no choice. It was wood with heavy metal fittings. No choice.
But, they went out. Time and time again. The photographic archives of travel camping in Jasper and Banff National Parks are huge.

I expect that I'd see much the same thing in Britain.

Here's the difference:
The province of British Columbia = 944,700 km^2, the population is about 4.6M people
The entire UK = 243,600 km^2, the population is about 65.6M people.
BC is nearly 4X the size of the entire UK and just about empty. We like it that way.

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Equipment in those days was bulky and very heavy. They brought with them lots of equipment we today would see as unnecessary luxury. Camp beds, stoves, large tents, lamps, cooking boxes...

You mean equipment like this Janne.
585677872acef5768f76083cb8aba45d--festival-camping-setup-festival-campsite.jpg

When the Victorians went lightweight.
photo-1.jpg

Last edited:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
At a festival book stall, I picked up a second hand copy of 'The Ladybird Book of Camping'.
Printed around 1970, with what was probably the typical campink kit available in the UK at the time. And we passed it around our tribe, to giggle at.

It was all huge canvas rucksacks, heavy cotton tents (though I recall from my short time in scouts, in the late 70's, we were still using canvas mil surplus things from the 50's) and gas stoves, packed in steel boxes.

How things have moved on!
Though they did have ex mil wool blankets, so at least some things stand the test of time. And the leave no trace ethos was being pushed.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I started my outdoor venturing in mid 60’ with dad.
We used a thin cotton fabric tent, aluminium cookware, alcohol burner, his backpack of some synthetic with aluminium frame, mine an old army small one of canvas, feather filled sleeping bags.

We had no mules.
Mum and sis stayed at home.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Equipment in those days was bulky and very heavy. They brought with them lots of equipment we today would see as unnecessary luxury. Camp beds, stoves, large tents, lamps, cooking boxes.

That sounds like an average modern uk bushcrafters overnight load out :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No family back packing. Others did, though. Car camping in the late 50's and early 60's with a Woods 9x12 canvas tent and Coleman appliances.
My grandparents generation had used the whole spectrum of big tents and wood-framed furnishings. Looked quite luxurious, actually.

I bought my things from Recreation Equipment, Seattle in 1967(?) ripstop nylon tent with rain fly, external frame pack.
sleeping bags, boots, butane cartridge stove and other things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE