Beech Leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
Oh :eek:
my ex is going to kill me, I had the kids munching on young beech leaves last weekend, mind you no one is dead yet so my guess is that they are probably ok ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Where does that chart say Beech Leaves are poisonous?

All I can see is a table that has information about potential allergic reactions....

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Gwhtbushcraft said:
I have often eaten beech leaves and am very sure they are edible as I have seen them in field guides but I read a chart on British blades that said they are poisonous. :confused: :confused: :confused:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5652&highlight=toxic+woods
I know that the dust from sanding can cause skin, breathing problems, and eye irritation, but that can be said of almost all “dusts” There was a survey done in London as to the suitability of collecting leaves from parks that were surrounded by congested roads, it was found by analyzing the leaf mould there were low levels of trace metals from the pollution from cars busses etc. However I’ve not heard anything about the dangers of eating beech leaves.
Its very name is from the Greek word meaning “to eat” although it is poisonous to cats

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I have often eaten them and have been quite alright but was a tad confused seeing them on the list and wanted to see if any one knew what context this is in.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
So can you eat beech leaves all year round or just when they are young? and do they need cooking or are they any good for cooking with (I'm thinking cabbage/spinach substitute)

This could be useful as there are mainly beech trees round these parts.

Cheers
Andy

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The young leaves are fine raw,as they get older they get harder to chew.I've never tried cooking them but ,raw they taste like apple peel.Dont bother with copper beech,they are a lot less pleasant.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Its very name is from the Greek word meaning “to eat”

I think that may be the nuts or beechmast that are for eating ?

Yeah I pinch the little green leaves and munch them too and I ain't dead yet.

Richard Maybey in "food for free" suggests a little salad with hawthorn leaves and even grass and sorrel

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Dunno mate but we are talking about different times of year here

Spring leaves and autumn leaves are quite different.

Trees in autumn will literally dump all their unwanted toxins in leaves before they drop off, one of the reasons for all those pretty autumn colours.

Not that these are necesarily toxic to humans but by the time autumn rolls around the leaves are a bit tough and leathery for eating anyway :)

Tant

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Yes, I meant in the autumn. So it could hold some truth then? I'm sure it was in the context of keeping bugs out of your leaf shelter.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was eating some earlier, and they do taste just like apple peel. When they are on the floor all brown, then they would be poisonous. As with all wild foods, try them in small amounts so that you know that you don't have an allergy, stick to the small young fresh leaves and you will be fine.

I've got right into eating wacky stuff from the hedgerow this year, I think it is fantastic!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
rik_uk3 said:
Whats the nutritional value of Beech leaves, how many would you need (in weight) to eat for a meal? That's something to google ;)
Im guessing seeing as a varied diet is the best diet, its best to chuck some other things in with it too as a meal :p you probably wouldnt want to eat a couple of kilograms of just beech leaves then you might be a bit ill :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE