Bearded axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Western Jutland - Denmark
Hi there!

I am currently working on a slightly different axe, i have always wanted to make some larger axes, and so i thought i would give it a go!
The starting material was 50x10x180mm mild steel, the cunstruction method was symmetric wrap with an 80crv2 edge insert!
i started by forging the center down to 10x30mm:

Then some marking of the poll and cheeks.

After this i forged out the cheeks and folded over to get ready to weld the body to itself:

then fast forward through a few mistakes (including forgetting to take pictures :rolleyes: ) and here i am now:

Edge length is right at 125mm (5") and thats about the most that will fit in my kiln.

Unfortunately i ended up with a weld flaw right at the eye, i tried to repair it but didn't succeed since at that time the cheeks were so thin i couldn't get a welding heat on the area without burning the eye :huh:
I will still finish it, and hang it on the wall or something, to remind me of the mistake :p

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peder Visti

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice profile, i like axes with a long bit. :)

Shame about the flaw. But these things happen... always sucks when you've put a good few hours into something and it doesn't turn out how you'd hoped. Can relate to that!! :)

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Nice profile, i like axes with a long bit. :)

Shame about the flaw. But these things happen... always sucks when you've put a good few hours into something and it doesn't turn out how you'd hoped. Can relate to that!! :)

Thanks! I always try to get right back on the horse when i mess things up, but atleast one learns a thing or two every time! :rolleyes:

It looks good despite the flaw, so I look forward to seeing your second axe of this style.

Rob
Thanks alot!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It's pretty eneoughh to be a showpiece axe so I should't worry about the flaw. I like the fact that the blade beard is the same thickness without a taper. A very art deco axe!

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Very nice work. I wouldn't worry about the weld flaw as I'm pretty sure the ax will still fell plenty of trees as it is. Might not be perfect, but I bet it will outlast anyone wanting to use it.

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks alot for the comments and encouragement! Here is what too fast of a quench looks like when done to a laminated axe=

An axe is often used to split, this time it was the other way around! :(

i already forged out another one to compensate for the grief! this time with my trusted ck60 edge insert!

Peder Visti

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE