beachcombing and the law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
hi all out there, i,m reading a book just now called Living off the land by John Humphreys, published in 1979 and he mentions about beachcombing for wood for his fire,and other flotsam & jetsam to put to use. What i was wondering was. Does anybody know where we stand regarding the law on collecting said items? cos i,m sure i read it or heard somewhere, that it,s now illegal or was i dreaming it :roll: Any help gratefully received!
CHEERS
stuart f

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
You can take whatever you like that washes up, but I know you can't take stones or sand. I'm fairly sure limpits and mussels are protected aswell.

The beach is a great time in winter. I'm having my first beach burn up of the year tomorrow. One of the last few places you can have a big fire hassle free, it seems!

I camp around beaches alot, as I surf. I collect wood casually throughout the day, but you need to do it early in the season.
Alot of people are up at the crack of dawn collecting wood for use at home. But, more and more, people are making crappy stuff to flog to the emmits! Which doesn't leave enough for yours truly.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Is there not something about not collecting stuff near Sites of scientific intrests or am i just making it all up in my head :shock:. Cos i,m sure i read it somewhere eer.. i think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE