beach foraging??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyhunter

Dec 8, 2010
North East
As a child my grandad used to take us prawning etc, i've been living in the north east for 9 years now and am always seeing razor clam shells when out with the dog, but cant actually find any sign of the holes to get live ones, anyone in the north east tell me of any beach stretches i'll be able to find these or mussels or anything like that??

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If there's loads of razor shells, they're there! But their holes often only tend to be accessible at low spring tides.

dannyhunter

Dec 8, 2010
North East
that was my thoughts, but i've searched every inch of this particular beach with no joy, i was starting to think they're just getting washed up there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Their presence is apparent by the sight of a small hole or depression in the sand.
Your essential item to bring with you is a big pot of salt or a water bottle with a highly saturated saline solution, pouring/squirting either of these into the hole fools the razor into thinking the tide's come back in and it will show itself.
A firm grip and steady pull will bring it out of the hole. Mind your fingers, they're sharp.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Im originally from the North east too and I used to haul quite a few razors from Saltburn at low tide. Directly below Huntscliff, at lowtide there would be quite a few to forage. In addition, due to the scars and the rocks you can get a whole host of other shellfish...that place makes for great eating!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE