BCUK TV Guide - Brat Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long).

When: Tuesday 9th March on Channel 4

The first of a four-part series following six badly behaved British teens at a tough American Wilderness Camp in Utah. Drugs, alcohol and swearing are all banned and the teenagers must ask permission for everything, even going to the toilet. The regime is designed to reform wayward youngsters, but may appear misguided to more liberal-minded parents.
(Subtitles)

----------------
Seen a trailer and magazine ad for it.
Got them making fire with bow drills etc, so i thought it might be worth watching.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The resident psychologist gets the final say on when they go home, and the parents have to attend classes to determine where they might have gone wrong.....

:)
Ed

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
The *National Service* idea might'nt be as bad as it seems, what I'd envisage would be a year out helping VSO, or something similar to the year that the two UK princes recently had, similar to the Peace Corps in the US. It need'nt be linked to the Military(unless you wanted it to be). Just my twopenn'orth :-D

Cheers

Shaun

Mar 2, 2004
my first reaction was to say ,give em a good slapping,,,and their parents! its the parents fault for letting the kids become so confused and rebelious.a lack of discipline does them no favours and in my opinion its the slack and easy life so many people embrace,the tv culture,and middle class values.the forest or woods has no time for truculent kids and if its survive or starve then i think it will teach them some self respect and for those they depend upon. life is too easy for people now and i think a large % of people would perish if left to their own devices.i mean ..how many people do you know who could kill their own meat?
they think it grows in boxes at the back of the supermarket!...am i ranting? :soapbox:

Mar 2, 2004
...also its typical that there should be a psychologist involved,it really ticks me off when i see someone lecturing about how someone should act ! everyone is different and to be told that you dont fit in really makes me angry.i,d love to get some into the woods but they would probably just sit and watch me and state the obvious all day,and not learn a thing because hey,theyre so clever already.anyway im away for a nice lie down now lol lol......when is that programme on? i,ll be out!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So, who watched it? I thought that it was great! I haven't laughted so hard at a TV show in ages :rolmao:

It beats all the "reality" TV into the ground. Here are some people that one really can't feel all that sympathetic for, who haven't volunteered, having complete tantrums being asked to do something that most of us would (almost) pay money to go do :eek:): Priceless!

what did you all think?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i was outside my house the other day and this young lad walked past with a bird of prey on his arm, i asked him what it was , it was a red tailed buzzard and he`d been flying it, wearing uncool clothes and soaked wet and muddy, it was really refreshing to see their not all idiots in hoods and g strings, but having said that i find if you can get down to their level then bring them up to yours most of them are ok , just bored and in need of someone talking to them rather than down to them and will show an interest if they`re included and encouraged, its all about comunication you know, cheers al

J

JeremyH

I saw the prog. Hmm interesting.
Not too sure so far - however was pretty impressed with the patience of the the 'facilitators' . Not sure as yet of the motives and the class issues too. I was involved in a similar project some time ago with young people from London. If it's about self responsibility then great - if it's just going to be about 'breaking in' aka horse whispering my jury's still out!

I do not watch too much TV so I cannot comment on other similar progs.

jeremyh

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I want to know when we will get the same setup in the UK, it is brilliant, I have been conected to the scouting movement since I was eight (39 now), and I have been brought up by strict but fair parents, and I always respected my elders, I have brought my three children the same way and dont get the problems that these parents are haveing, there is simply not enough disaplin anywhere.
When I attended my first day at junior school we were greeted by a cane waveing head master.
A very good school teacher friend of mine was today suspended from work because he pulled a pupil out from behind a HOT electric oven, the child was haveing a tantrum (he's 15) and hid behind the oven, my friend done what he done for the child's own safety and because he touched the child he could lose his job.
Kid's today know that the parents, teachers or anyone touches them then they can press charges, and they take advantage of this, no wonder thay are running riot the system is letting them do it.

WE NEED A BRAT CAMP IN THE UK NOW AND ILL BE THE FIRST TO APPLY FOR THE JOB OF TUTOR. :soapbox:

Mar 2, 2004
i agree m8,
some of them need to meet the men in wooly faces. the whole society is losing its values,far too permissive and lax. kids nowadays have no respect for their wiser{usually} elders and dont realise its them that teach the younger generation how to survive. although considering the psyche based nonsence on tv nowadays im not surprised the kids are so messed up today!!! false data and contrasurvival actions paint a dim future for us all.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i think these kids need some serious help. they are dysfunctional and so are their parents. My wife is a therapist with years of experience dealing with abnormal behaviours. She was impressed with their approach. However the social care system here would never be that innovative.

i'm interested to see how the program pans out. My only complaint is that these kids are being rewarded for their behaviour. there are good kids out there who work hard everyday despite **** circumstances and produce decent grades whilst avoiding the druggies on the street corner. yet they do not get trips to Utah and free Bushcraft courses. i for one would have loved that opportunity.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Why dont we all try being an uncontrolable gits, and we may get three month holidays the desert or maybe a safari in Africa (remember that one in the papers), we would have to keep the act up for a while after we all got there, and no jumping for joy as soon as the plane landed in Utah, but I am sure that I could pull it off. :naughty:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I can just imagine it.
Mountain Spirit -"Hey Stone Bear, I think we have a problem with one of the new arrivals. He can't stop smiling and is far too enthusiastic, its not
natural. I think he is a bushcraft nut in disguise!"
:lol:

I know that it looks like they are being rewarded, but that is just how we look at it. I don't think that those kids look at it that way :-D

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Hmm...as one of the younger members of the community I feel I ought to stick up for the younger generations! Some of you have written some really glowering indictments of 'kids today', etc, and I'm not sure they are entirely fair. Just because kids on this particular program are disrespectful, problematic, etc doesn't mean the rest of the youthful population of Britain is the same.
I have often confronted with a form of ageism where people expect, purely because I am a young person, sometimes wear hoodies and occasionally have a shaven head, that I am going to rude, disrespectful and generally antisocial; which by the way, is not the case.

What is more, while it appears that there is an increasing trend in anti-social behaviour among young people, how much of that is due merely to the fact that we live in a society with much greater media coverage?
Having said that I think it is at least in part right to blame the social and educational systems, especially when you look at certain sections of society where young people are looking forward to their 18th birthday in order to sign on, or are rewarded with council housing for teenage pregnancies.

:soapbox:

</rant> Sorry I'm still in dissertation mode. :wink:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yes indeed matt well put.

I would agree all do now in the older age group (28) I was not always this way and had my troubles in the past but I was lucky and had a father to point me right direction and channeled my more distructive nature in to areas I found interesting.

Like scouts and judo. If the education systems and powers that be had such and enlighted approach instead of laying the blame everywhere else then I believe the younger people of today (who are our future) would be better off.

The problem here are just as bad and in particular under age drinking. A big problem in most small towns here and most because of poor policing and lack of responsablity of perents and goverment. As well as the blinkered view of the rest of us and expecting someone else to do deal with it.

I am only speak of my own experiences here in Southern Ireland. I haven't seen the programme as of yet but if it works from some kids thats great but we need to look at the rest and not just the ones in trouble but all of them.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE