Battery storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How to carry batteries in the bush? Then I had an epiphany. Some spare webbing, some elastic, some velcro and a few munutes with the trusty Husqvarna 2000 sewing machine later:

batteryholder-800.png

(Yes, I know, I will clean all the threads up)

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Simple, effective and self made...what's not to like :D
I must have a bit more practice with our sewing machine as my last project is failing at the seams.

Rob.

forestwalker

Like all the best ideas - simple and effective, and makes you think "why didn't I think of that?"goodjob

Thanks!. I have been mulling on the issue for a long time, considered buying the plastic glow-in-the-dark thingys that RM was selling, and then the proverbial ligthbulb went on over my head. Made three more today, two nicer ones for myself, and one for a mate. It is really quick once one has the measurements down: the key one is 4 cm between the two elastic pockets: then AAs will fit perfectly, and with AAAs there is a bit more room, but not so that it matters. I used 50 mm wide webbing, and matching elastic and velcro.

The workflow is simple:

1. Attack velcro loop patch by one end of webbing
2. Attach first pocket on the reverse side of the velcro.
3. Attach second pocket 4 cm away from the first
4. Divide pockets into two (quicker than doing it as the pockets are attached)
5. Add velcro hook part about 4 cm away from the bottom of the second pocket, Leave a short piece of free webbing after the velcro (0.5--1 cm).

forestwalker

Light & effective - store & carry close to body = good plan.

I generally just let them get cold to ambient, and then use a well designed head torch in winter. I still used my old Petzl Arctic (with LED bulb and 3xAA lithums): the batteries are in a pouch around the neck, nice and cozy. Not quite as compact as more modern lamps, but won't turn on in the pack and can be turned on/off while wearing mittens, which is essential in real cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE