Basic Net Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I found this online.

A good part series on making netting. Uses such as fishing or trapping.

Hope it helps.

[video=youtube;rio11Hn3m6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rio11Hn3m6g[/video]

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
i recognise that:)

Hay i watched it today. I had to play a few times to get the gist but im thinking about making one of those needles and trying my hand at net making.

Q. If i run out of cord half way through what do i do?
Q. How long does it take on average to make a 6x6 net?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hay i watched it today. I had to play a few times to get the gist but im thinking about making one of those needles and trying my hand at net making.

A - tie another piece on
b - meters or feet, inches or cm?
A skilled person can make a 6mx6m net in a fistful of hours - it would take me days...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Carving the needles is fun... something I really enjoy doing as it makes you use the whole edge of the knife and shows if you've got it nice and sharp :)

Meters. Probably take me a month. Lol

Depends on the size of the mesh... do one with 15cm square mesh and you'd knock it out pretty quick. Make it with 1.5cm square and you'll be there a couple months or more :lmao:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

1 -if you run out of cord, just tie some more on using the same knot but attach it to the last complete mesh, i always like to tie on a new length onthe edge of a net rather than in the middle for neatness.

2 - the time it takes depend on how big a mesh you use, a 6ft square net made with a 1 inch mesh would take a while, but with a 2 inch mesh it takes less time, i made a net hammock a while back, only a small one for hanging soft toys in, i suppose it took me an afternoon to do it, it all depends on the mesh size, a regular purse net for ferreting takes me about an hour

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Mark. A good skill to learn over the winter.

that it is George, whats nice with it is you can totally lose yourself in your thoughts while you do it, i find themn incredibly relaxing to make

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
knot it twice and it wont slip, only on natural fibres will a single knot hold, i show the double knot in my video above

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Make sure you take a look at Kepis's video. It shows hoe to tie the modified sheet bend very clearly. Here is a look at the knot posted by "troubled sailor" at the nets and net making forum. Tony
17knot.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE