Basha Mod - How to safely add a new loop/ring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hey folks,

So I've just upgraded my lightweight wild camping/hiking kit shelter from a poncho to a Pro Force basha - a very windy/rainy couple of nights in the lake district last month persuaded me to go with a slightly longer, more robust shelter.

Just got the basha delivered to day and it looks great. Lots of secure tabs down the sides for pitching, and a nice size, however I want to modify it to allow me to pitch using bivvi poles 3/4 of the width - to allow the long side to be pegged to the ground but provide an open side with a little bit of protection, with the 1/4 width being tied down in an A line (not sure if this description makes sense!!).

Anyway, although there are multiple tabs already sewn into the long side, there are only tabs on the corners and middle of the short side, so I wondered if anyone has any advice about how best to add a new tab at each end, in the 3/4 position? Is it best to sew in a fabric tab (like the rest) or add a ring/eye to the fabric. I want to make sure that whatever I do can stand up to the next high wind/rain expedition!!

Thanks for reading,

Chris:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd personally sew in some tie out loops the same as already on the basha.

If they've used a re-inforcing patch of fabric, I'd do the same and sew the loops onto that.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Thanks Teepee. Any tips for doing this - hand stitch, sewing machine, fabric, etc?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

bearbait

I'd sew a tab like the rest. Or you could try some thing like these grip clips. They will fit anywhere on a tarp, not just the edge. Alternatively just try googling "tarp grip clips" to turn up loads of options. A couple of these (re)moveable ones may help you try different tarp configurations before you set to and sew some tabs on once you've got your setups firmed up.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Nice one bearbait. I hadn't considered this as an option. Any experience of their performance in high(ish) winds though? Might they just pop undone? Do they risk damaging the fabric too?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one bearbait. I hadn't considered this as an option. Any experience of their performance in high(ish) winds though? Might they just pop undone? Do they risk damaging the fabric too?

I've heard good things about those clips, some of the makers have reported no problems with them including delamination and letting go. They would offer a moveable point too.

I'd use a machine if poss if you sew, but hand sewing will be fine. A box with an x in it as a stitch pattern for machine (or hand) is my preference or close zig zags (bartacks) on the machine sewed onto the re-inforcing patch and the hem. The patches are less critical but ideally around a 70gsm piece of nylon to match the basha. It doesn't need to be coated either.

bearbait

I've had no trouble with them, although I haven't used them routinely. The design means there is a lot of friction area so any loading is spread relatively widely. This link takes you to the manufacturer's site with some more tecky detail on them.

If you want to try a couple PM me your address and I'll stick 'em in the post.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I read this as 'Bash a Mod' and I wondered which Mod you had in mind. :lmao:

lol

I've heard good things about those clips, some of the makers have reported no problems with them including delamination and letting go. They would offer a moveable point too.

I'd use a machine if poss if you sew, but hand sewing will be fine. A box with an x in it as a stitch pattern for machine (or hand) is my preference or close zig zags (bartacks) on the machine sewed onto the re-inforcing patch and the hem. The patches are less critical but ideally around a 70gsm piece of nylon to match the basha. It doesn't need to be coated either.

Nice one, I'll have to dig the sewing machine out the loft now! ;)

Last edited:

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I've had no trouble with them, although I haven't used them routinely. The design means there is a lot of friction area so any loading is spread relatively widely. This link takes you to the manufacturer's site with some more tecky detail on them.

If you want to try a couple PM me your address and I'll stick 'em in the post.

Actually, these look pretty good. I've watched a video on YouTube and the ones there looked a little big, and would therefore gather more of the basha, but they might be worth a try first. Cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If adding extra tabs to the tarp you will need to use seam sealer, as you will have put a load of holes in the waterproof fabric :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE