"BANG!" Well, more like "pop" but you get the idea.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cooking up another batch of charcloth this afternoon, this time from some old bath towel. 100% cotton, if a bit grubby and lightly oil stained from doing time in the garage/workshop but was a good way cooked when this happened:
[video=youtube;vBGKw8JQLMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGKw8JQLMQ&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

It had already been on the go for about 10 mins, with plenty of flame and gas venting, so just why it felt the to need to blow off like that I've no idea.:confused:

No big deal either really, I just picked the tin off the fire, found the lid, replaced it securely and put the tin back on to finish cooking.

Just for reference, I always wear a pair of safety glasses when faffing on like this. I've never had any trouble with the tins, just bits shooting out of the fire when burning coniferous wood!

happy days!:cool:

Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, y'know ? it makes it interesting :D

I think sometimes if the cloth is really tightly packed then the gas gets a bit trapped, especially if it's towels which can hold a lot of water and not feel damp when you put them in.

Glad it caused no grief though.

cheers,
M

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Actually Mary, thinking about it a bit more, it was probably the vent becoming blocked. You get a tarry substance forming around the hole as the burn develops, so if say for example, a bit off fluffy toweling gets mixed up with the tar, then is drawn to the vent..........."Kaboom!" Well, as I say, "pop"!:rolleyes:

Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actually Mary, thinking about it a bit more, it was probably the vent becoming blocked. You get a tarry substance forming around the hole as the burn develops, so if say for example, a bit off fluffy toweling gets mixed up with the tar, then is drawn to the vent..........."Kaboom!" Well, as I say, "pop"!:rolleyes:

Steve

Yup - I have had that happen a few times :)
It livens the evening up!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, good point. I don't think I've ever had tar around the vent on charcloth though....had it a bit when trying to do the whole charing thing with other stuff however.

cheers,
M

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Yea, making charcold produces a black substance which can block the vent hole. It happens more with a large batch/container combo. Plus that fire was aggressive with the wind flaring it up so combine everything and POP!

Looking at the below pic you can just make out a black speck near the vent hole. Several times I had to scrape it off with a stick during the burn. There was a good amount of cloth in the container. With smaller amounts I never notice anything.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE