Baked Beans for survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tommy11

I would think that if anyone were about to have to survive on minimal food, a good one would be cans of baked beans as you can even eat them cold straight out the can....

Although if you were trapped in the wilderness this would not be available...

Maybe take some cans of them whem you go camping?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I survived uni on a diet of mostly beans - Aldi were selling them at 2p a can and I'd stock up on a few palettes worth at the beginning of term. I've never been so slim, fit and healthy.

.... absolutely nothing to do with the 10+ miles a day I was cycling

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have to agree that baked beans are something i'll happily turn my nose up at. why people can ruin a good cooked breakie with them is beyond me.
tinned tomato's is the way to go or even better grilled tomato's!
hmm just skewered and cooked over the coals till the outsides are going black and the inside is so hot it burns your lips and chin when you bite into it. hmmmmm

also the blazing saddles ref got me in stitches!
try this one from family guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hn1ylzQTTI&feature=related

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Beans are good, plenty of carbs, fat, fibre etc 400 or 500 cals a can depending on maker, add cheese or curry powder for extra taste.

Fry some bacon or better yet a slab of belly pork in a pan with sliced onions and fry gently, when cooked add the beans to the fat, onions, juices and pork and cook until liquid is reduced. Mop up pan with bread, don't move for an hour, just sit back and rest :) If you have a real hunger, fry two or three eggs per person in the juices and remove before frying the beans.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Tinned foods can contain traces of bisphenol-A (BPA)..a chemical used in the tin linings, which is known to be carcogenic even in small doses so you would be advised to reduce you intake & there are much better survival foods than baked beans, though after a nuclear attack or accident,tins would be your safest bet. Dog or cat food would be better as they contain both minerals & vitamins, but after finding out what really goes into it, especially the long term effects of the preservatives, I no longer feed it to my dogs............Unless you are really in a survival situation or only eat it occasionally, it would be better to avoid industrially made foods.
Regarding tins, the qualityEnergy ratios compared to their weight are very low

Last edited:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
but they have such a low calorie content.... it would be a disastrous thing to try and survive on....

Not really, the Branston ones are 400 calories a tin. and even the Sainsburys basics ones are 200 per can. Not something to survive on totally but a useful additon to a diet. Plenty of fibre and carbs.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They are high in fiber and adequate in calories as has already been stated. rik-uk3 added that flavor can be improved by adding meat; small tins of Spam or something like are as long lasting as the beans themselves and may be a better option than bacon or fresh pork for long term storage. Your main problem with any tinned food is the high salt content. Not so bad in the short term but not a good idea for a long term sole dietary supply. Dried beans would last and store almost as well and when served in combination with rice (also good for long term storage) provides all the protein needed without the excessive salt. This option obviously requires added water and cooking time so it's not as convenient as tinned foods. Nothing is perfect but a combination might be in order; tinned for short term/convenience such as disruption to normal services after a flood, storm, etc. Dried, freeze dried or something like for a more long term scenario if you feel such a need. In either case adding tinned fruits an veg for variety can be a morale booster. The key is trying as much as possible to match your normal diet.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I know a guy who used to work in the development of outdoors gear and he told me that he got sent on a field test for some new gear that consisted of a week long expedition carrying all of your gear and food. Also part of this little jaunt was a guy from the SAS who was acting as a consultant for the manufacturers (but mainly so that the adverts could include the phrase "As used by Special Forces") and at the first meal break all the civilians pulled out their dehydrated ration packs while the SAS guy pulled out a tin of beans. That was all he ate. All week.

Glad I wasn't there!

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Me and another lad once lived under a tarp for four days on one massive tin of strawberry jam and a tin of powdered lemonade, we had been dropped at a spike camp by super cub which was planning to return a couple more times with kit but the weather turned and it couldn't get out of the valley where the main camp was located. Looking back, it was a logistics/planning/preparation disaster and we deserved to suffer by jam OD! Glyn.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I useually have a can or two with me when I am camping (or a tin of chicjen currey), as it is a good quick meal o have when your meat that you have brought with you has run out or been out of a fridge for too long.

Cooking in tins over the fire is BAD for you, by the way, as they have plastic on the inside that releases all sorts of nasties when it gets hot. Buy a small pot, it's much safer AFAIK.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I useually have a can or two with me when I am camping (or a tin of chicjen currey), as it is a good quick meal o have when your meat that you have brought with you has run out or been out of a fridge for too long.

Cooking in tins over the fire is BAD for you, by the way, as they have plastic on the inside that releases all sorts of nasties when it gets hot. Buy a small pot, it's much safer AFAIK.

Not all tins are plastic lined by any means, tends to be food with a high acidic content such as tomato's and or the brand you buy.

Rice can store well, but for long term storage you need sealed containers with O2 absorbers and some desiccant silica gel packs.

Use a pan though unless its an emergency, saves on burns to fingers if nothing else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE