Bahco Laplander...the best saw ever?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheBrook

Sep 3, 2014
West Midlands
www.youtube.com
Hi Everyone,

Here's a review I did of the Bahco Laplander which is a folding saw with a lot to offer.

I think it could even be the best saw for Bushcraft and outdoor activities on the market right now.

In this video I give an overview of the saw and also share some tips and tricks that I've come across.

[video=youtube;vTzlLzQcv-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTzlLzQcv-c[/video]

Would love to hear what you thought of the Bahco Laplander if you own one and if you think there's an even better saw on the market!

Until next time, take care :)

Brook

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Best saw on the market for bushcrafting it has to be a silky, the professionals use them, cut thru wood like butter, do your fingers if they get in the way too.

expensive but worth every penny!

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
They're perfectly serviceable saws but I did a side by side comparison with a silky pocketboy 170 folding saw which is about the same size, and the silky was significantly more effective at cutting, faster and less effort.

I sold the bahco and now have a 130mm and a 170mm silky. Well worth trying them out if you get the chance.

Cheers, Paul

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Best saw on the market for bushcrafting it has to be a silky, the professionals use them, cut thru wood like butter, do your fingers if the get in the way too.

expensive but worth every penny!

I have scars to prove this. Seem to remember a mate checking the saw afterwards for bone and it still hurts on cold days.
Bahco is a little more hard wearing but look after a silky and its out performs every time.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've owned a laplander for 7 years and was happy with it until I got a silky accel and was amazed at how much better it was.

My laplander hasn't been out since...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do like my laplander, it's a good saw and it's good value for money. I also have a silky fox pocket boy and that is undeniably better- cuts smooth, faster and is smaller (handier to chuck in your pocket). It's more expensive but it's the better tool in my opinion :).

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use a fixed blade silky(zubat) on a regular basis, they are excellent, & my latest cut(right index finger) is healing nicely, but painful to touch.

Rob

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
IMHO pretty much any folding pruning saw is good enough for the small scale type of bushcrafting common to the UK. Sure some do have a much better build quality and teeth variations but are essentially the same animal with some being more aggressive than others. Where these folding saws all fail however from a usability point is the handle-grip, if you look at wood saws in general there are two types of handle. The power grip or D style where the fingers are at almost a right angle to the blade and the precision or rapier style handle inline with the blade. If you're processing a lot of wood or sawing through trunks as opposed to thinner limbs one soon discovers how uncomfortable these inline handles are to use for long periods. Half the time when one of these small folding saws stick it's not the trees fault it's your hand wobbling as the brain overrides the growing ache in your fingers. Carpenters have known this for centuries and it's interesting to note that some of the tree surgeon's here seem to favour brands that feature a pistol type grip more akin to the full D style.

PS:
Brook.. nice videography but remember to keep both hands in shot and all arm movements small.

Last edited:

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I have a Fiskars where the blade is stored inside the handle and slides in and out locked in place by a thumb wheel.

I find it more comfortable to use than a folding saw.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
IMHO pretty much any folding pruning saw is good enough for the small scale type of bushcrafting common to the UK. Sure some do have a much better build quality and teeth variations but are essentially the same animal with some being more aggressive than others. Where these folding saws all fail however from a usability point is the handle-grip, if you look at wood saws in general there are two types of handle. The power grip or D style where the fingers are at almost a right angle to the blade and the precision or rapier style handle inline with the blade. If you're processing a lot of wood or sawing through trunks as opposed to thinner limbs one soon discovers how uncomfortable these inline handles are to use for long periods. Half the time when one of these small folding saws stick it's not the trees fault it's your hand wobbling as the brain overrides the growing ache in your fingers. Carpenters have known this for centuries and it's interesting to note that some of the tree surgeon's here seem to favour brands that feature a pistol type grip more akin to the full D style.

This is my veiw, i use a laplander because they are cheap and damn near unkillable. For the work i put it too i'm not really bothered if a silky pocketboy will save a second or two per cut
I do use fixed silkys for work But for bushy purposes cutting any serious amount of firewood is buck/bow saw and axe fodder

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I can't rate the Bahco highly enough. When I head out I think it's just instinct to pick up the laplander - It just feels right in my hand and does the job really well so I trust in it.

I do also have a Silky Pocket Boy... have had it quite some time but have barely used it if I am honest. I am sure it's excellent - it is incredibly sharp but doesn't feel as sturdy. Makes mincemeat out of shrubs in the garden though! I really will have to give it a proper try out.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
I bought a folding saw from Aldi a couple of years ago and thought that was good enough for my small needs and found it to be a good saw.
After reading another thread I bought the Bahco expecting greatness but unfortunately I was a little dissappointed, doesn't cut as well as the Aldi one and the handle isn't as well shaped.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Best thing I can say for the Laplander is that it folds and locks into a nice shape for packing, no sharp corners. Next best is that it comes in hi-vis orange too.

For cutting, the standard blade kind of sucks, especially and particularly in green wood. Its a little better in seasoned wood, but far short of great. There are a couple of other blades that Bahco offer that fit the Laplander handle, which have teeth that are meant to work better on green wood. My mum has a 396JS in her Laplander having expressed with surprising vehemency :eek: that the standard blade was not up to par for pruning work. She likes the new blade on green wood, but I haven't had a chance to try it on seasoned stuff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE