Axe handle from pick axe handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
My axe handle needed replacing and I couldn't find a reliable source for a new one.
I found a decent hickory pick axe handle with a good straight grain and spent an hour or two roughing a new axe handle from it with my axe and a mora knife. I didnt have enough width of wood at the bottom end to carve a 'deersfoot' so I used a piece of antler.It has a threaded bar epoxied into the wood with a nut recessed into the antler then epoxied and screwed in. I need to sand it a bit more as its only down to 120g sand paper, but its a reasonable piece of useable kit again. The axe is a sandvik 600g that I brought in 1983 and this is its 3rd handle.

sorry for the poor picture.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Bluddy excellent under rated axes those. I use mine nearly evry day. I found mine improved when I put on a fatter slightly longer handle with a finnish type vacum cleaner type end grip.
The steel on that is better than the £60 roselli:D

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its not underated by me! I've had it 25 years and have never found a good enough reason to replace it. If I could find another I'd but it as a spare.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yes, used to use a 3lb sandvik felling axe, with a lovely ash handle.. was a dream to use.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Bob, you've pipped me to the post. This is exactly my beech wood carving project I have on the go right now.

Nice work, I mean the handle, not pipping me to the post :D

Cheers,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE