Axe gallery!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Axes, the wildmans best friend! From building cabins, felling trees and to splitting wood for your fire, the axe will always be a handy and attractive tool.

So, why not have a dedicated axe gallery!? a place for all of us to post our treasured collections and arty pictures of our favourite axes! all shapes and sizes are welcome, old and new, cheap and pricey! Get them on here for all to see, admire and to learn what is out there!

I'll start:

GB small forest axe with custom Angst mask!

DSCF3821.jpg

DSCF3822.jpg

Modded tomahawk - cold steel trail hawk!

DSCF3817.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

A little camp axe I made from a larger Kent pattern.

DSC00384.jpg

and my oldest most abused axe, currently used to smash concrete and bricks so not quite as maintained as it is here..

AK1.jpg

Now let's see yours!

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's my motely crew

choppy.jpg

From left to right

Hultafors Classic Hand Hatchet, GB Mini Hatchet, Cold Steel Trail Hawk, Husqvarna Swedish Hatchet, GB Small Forest Axe and the Hultafors Agdor Chopping Axe.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
Axes, the wildmans best friend! From building cabins, felling trees and to splitting wood for your fire, the axe will always be a handy and attractive tool.

So, why not have a dedicated axe gallery!? a place for all of us to post our treasured collections and arty pictures of our favourite axes! all shapes and sizes are welcome, old and new, cheap and pricey! Get them on here for all to see, admire and to learn what is out there!

I'll start:

BG small forest axe with custom Angst mask!

DSCF3821.jpg

DSCF3822.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

and my oldest most abused axe, currently used to smash concrete and bricks so not quite as maintained as it is here..

AK1.jpg

Now let's see yours!

your descriptions make them sound great but i just said "sorry this person moved or deleted this image PHOTOBUCKET" is this just me whats it like for others?
Cheers Ed

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

I'll start:

BG small forest axe with custom Angst mask!

DSCF3821.jpg

DSCF3822.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

AK1.jpg

Now let's see yours!

Pics not showing :( and I want to see the axes!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Bugger.. just been organising my photo bucket so it may take a while to sort itself out. I didn't delete them so they should show up, if not - I'll repost them fom their new folders! ;)

Now fixed! can you chaps edit your posts so they don't have my errors on display! hehe :D

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Yay...that's better, I like the little modded camp axe, very nice :)

I put some pictures of mine up in the week but i've just moved so everything is a bit of a mess at the mo'!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Ok heres mine

A small cegga and a RM wilderness axe

I used to have a GB small forest axe but found I never carried it anywhere and it was not big enough for everyday wood splitting at home so I got the cegga as its quite light and packable which is good for me as I hike a lot in the mountains . The bigger axe I use mainly at home but do bring it to bush meets/car camping ect. They are both good axes for my needs

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
daymn bro! fine looker right there :D anymore on that'ne?

keep it going and this become a sticky thread!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very nice. Im gonna have to get one of those bearded axes. I like the Stefan Ronnqvist Viking axe, but its outside my budget for stuff I dont really need.
Is that your own design nic, or is it a copy of an archeological find?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I had some new steel delivered and want to see how easily it forged, tried something a bit more demanding than the Laminate axes I usually do. It is not, as far as I know a copy of anything. To say it is was my Design sounds a bit grandiose, I was just playing about, a doodle in steel. Turned out well though and I will be making more along these lines.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I had some new steel delivered and want to see how easily it forged, tried something a bit more demanding than the Laminate axes I usually do. It is not, as far as I know a copy of anything. To say it is was my Design sounds a bit grandiose, I was just playing about, a doodle in steel. Turned out well though and I will be making more along these lines.

I only just realised that you're Nic Westerman!.. :You_Rock_

you're too modest dude! that axe is a beauty ;)

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
That is indeed a lovely looking axe Nic, though i wonder whether the length of the beard might be impractical for an axe of that size. I love all of the axes I've seen of yours and I think that your handles are great too. (I might have to get in touch with you sometime when I feel I can justify another).
Here is a picture of my Stefan Ronnqvist hatchet. And also a group photo of the family. I've written some reviews of a few of them on my blog.

PICT0178.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thanks Samon, Hope I am not clogging up your Gallery too much! Heath- I will go and have a look at your blog. In general I agree that for its weight (400g) a cutting edge of 61/2" is excessive. But in practice it was never a problem, the beard didn't get in the way and I used most of the cutting edge, it never felt overly light either. As I say though happy accident as there was no conscious forethought applied!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks Samon, Hope I am not clogging up your Gallery too much! Heath- I will go and have a look at your blog. In general I agree that for its weight (400g) a cutting edge of 61/2" is excessive. But in practice it was never a problem, the beard didn't get in the way and I used most of the cutting edge, it never felt overly light either. As I say though happy accident as there was no conscious forethought applied!

Such a gent! we want to see as many as you can post up dude! seriously, this is a gallery for all axes, and yours are sure to inspire!

keep them coming guys, we'll have this filled with everything man could want in no time ;)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I have nothing that can compare to the works of art above, just mostly old heads that I've sharpened and rehafted. I usually tape a strip of leather to the leading edge of the handles, and, well, they won't get lost in the leaves or snow or be mistaken for anyone else's:

IMG_1360_zps5bee5a19.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE