Aurora Borealis tonight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its amazing, the Northern lights are the one thing I want to see before I die, yet every time I make plans to go there something happens to stop me -- its almost like an unseen force is blocking my way -- maybe it is never to be -- who knows!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
thanks bothyman

nice link and signing up for the mail alerts is a cool idea

here is another site , a bit more US but it features things like meteor showers and comets too as well as other things of interest in the night sky

http://www.spaceweather.com/

i have them both in my bookmarks

Tant

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i spent 3 months in northern norway in winter time,the northern lights are absolutely stunning ,if you listen carefully you`ll hear them

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Gary said:
Its amazing, the Northern lights are the one thing I want to see before I die, yet every time I make plans to go there something happens to stop me -- its almost like an unseen force is blocking my way -- maybe it is never to be -- who knows!

That sounds tragic! Mate you have to see them. I haven't seen them this year but when they come out strong I try to make a picture for you.
Sometimes they are moving very fast changing form and position over the entire sky, its a visual phenomena a photo cant capture. You have to see them live before you die :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thanks guys, I will see them one day.

Abbe maybe I'll come over twe they are strongest and you can show me a good spot! :biggthump

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
al said:
i spent 3 months in northern norway in winter time,the northern lights are absolutely stunning ,if you listen carefully you`ll hear them

Once in Finnmark, I woke up in the snow hole and couldn't sleep, so I made a bru, slipped some more clothes on, and sat outside. It was one of the clearest nights I have seen up there, and nearly 40 below zero :yikes: on my thermometer, with no wind. I didn't stay long, but sitting out with the northern lights above... absolutely magic. One of the top life experiences ever. I think you can hear them very faintly - it's odd, because with all the snow out there it's usually intensely silent - your voice falls dead in the air. Gary, maybe you should make your Norway course in 2006 in Finnmark/Troms and you can see for yourself - I for one would come! :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bothyman said:

This is the page that triggered this entire thread. :eek:):

I had received a "red" alert by E-mail. Chances are I wouldn't have seen anything this far south, besides it was cloudy !! But I thought that people further north may have a clear sky. As it turned out, I don't think anything resulted from this forecast.

Quite a good service though,

Martin

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Al is right its almost like static electricity or bacon frying, I guess i'm hungry :wink: Once some years ago a friend from Japan and our family were comming back home from southern Ontario and we were able to see the northern lights for over 4 hours as we drove north, he like Gary had never seen the Aurora and didn't think he would ever one never knows.
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE