1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning...

Discussion in 'Other Chatter' started by Wayland, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

[​IMG]

While we remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice it is important to remember those that came home too.

2. Fadcode

Fadcode Full Member

Well remembered, also a thought for the families, and the Widows, Mothers that faced years of struggle having lost a loved one, I never knew my Grandfather who gave his life for us, but I will always Love and respect his memory.

Toddy, Robson Valley, Nomad64 and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul_B

Paul_B Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Anyone going up great gable for the service there? It's a very moving ceremony. Unfortunately I rarely make it these days.

It's always adds weight being on the hill dedicated to the nation in commemoration of those who did not come back imho. It's about the extra effort to be there on time in what is usually not nice weather. It was very cold, windy and on/off snow when I last went. But there were several hundred up there.

I recommend everyone makes that journey once. I don't know of any other remembrance pilgrimage like it.

4. Nomad64

Nomad64 Full Member

A very timely post.

For anyone interested in researching relatives lost at sea during wartime or otherwise (or indeed anyone with an interest in maritime history), this site is a fascinating database of wrecks and their history.

https://www.wrecksite.eu/Wrecksite.aspx

My grandfather was Royal Navy and died on convoy duty in sight the Cornish coast (his home county) in 1942. I knew most of details but through that website I was able to fill in many gaps - including the names of the RN and Merchant Navy sailors who died with him.

There is even a link to a Utube vid of some local divers visiting the wreck - something I had always hoped to do but it is at a depth requiring mixed gas, technical diving qualifications and skills which I never had in my prime and am unlikely to get now. The Utube vid has a comment from a Danish man saying his great grandfather was the captain of the ship - I am tempted to contact him but not sure.

Anyway, probably too much information but might be an interesting resource for others interested in researching lost relatives.

More local to me these days, the Brecon Beacons are littered with the remains of RAF, RCAF and USAAF aircraft lost during the war and immediate post war years. There will be various informal acts of remembrance at many of these sites over next few days - below s a link to a guide with directions and descriptions of the various wrecks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905795...colid=NKV3L8PE1PQ2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

RIP

Wayland, Toddy and santaman2000 like this.
  5. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

There are many sad stories in my family from both World Wars. One great uncle went down with the Lancastria and another appears to have died in the massacre at Wormhoudt, but it is my Grandfather, their brother, I remember best.

He came back from the "Great" War with a Millitary Medal and refused to talk about it at all. After he died I learned that he had crawled through no mans land to take out a machine gun nest with a grenade. I cannot imagine the courage that required. To have lost his brothers in a second war must have been a bitter pill.

#5 Wayland, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Toddy and Nomad64 like this.
  6. Paul_B

Paul_B Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I only know half stories about WWII family history. Stories about a great uncle NCO in the royal marines on an island in the Mediterranean fighting to the last bullet with the other NCOs to allow officers and private soldiers to retreat off the island. Then a surrender once the last round was spent and a long time in a POW camp in Germany where he was starved.

Or grandad driving trains between Southampton and London who survived bombing attacks. He witnessed direct hits on the engine before. Not fighting but not safe neither. I think there's many in reserved occupations who weren't able to serve in the three services who faced daily life/ death situations. The merchant sailors running supplies into Russia. Miners in the great war digging tunnels under enemy trenches or even WWII who put in great efforts often in very unsafe conditions to keep the war effort moving. I'm sure there's many more.

One thing I've noticed in my family, those who survived the war didn't talk about it much.

santaman2000, Wayland and Toddy like this.
  7. Dreadhead

Dreadhead Bushcrafter through and through

very powerful Gary

Wayland likes this.
  8. Limaed

Limaed Full Member

EEA61CC0-9C92-4647-B58A-C634FA55D422.jpeg I went up Great Gable for the service. It was a good day out with over a hundred in attendance. We also laid a wreath in memorandum of lives lost.

Attached Files:

Wayland and Nomad64 like this.
  9. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

A project I was involved in last year to decorate our town hall. 20181105_135951.jpg 20181105_135818.jpg 20181105_135840.jpg
    Many hours with my knitting needles along with others in the town.

santaman2000, Wayland and Nomad64 like this.