As I walk along. I wonder what went wrong........Sweden (Picci heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Sormlandsleden

Well it had to happen at some point and this was the trip.

Having had two very successful trips to Finland and Norway I figured it was about time to check out Sweden.

My route was taken from this website:

http://www.sormlandsleden.se/Default.aspx?langID=1033

I chose a route heading north from Nykoping to Svarta and built my agenda round that.

Thursday night found me twiddling my thumbs at Stansted Airport awaiting another early flight via a well known Irish airline.

Landing at Skavsta at 9am swedish time I caught a bus to the town centre.

DSCF2211.jpg

A drop into a few stores to pick up gas, water and local intel from Tourist Information and now to the Trial Head via another bus connection.

DSCF2134.jpg

Directions from the website were pretty misleading I found and were open to various different types of interpretation.

Anywho after an hours walk I came across:

DSCF2136.jpg

Realization at this point came as a shock that the directions had led me the wrong way along the trail.

Ok after a bit of a sit down and a chin scratch with enough time on my hands I headed back to the trail site to see where I had gone wrong.

The map I had bought for this part of the trip covered the start of the trail but there was an area of about 5km that it didn't cover. The downloadable map I had got to cover this part from the website proved to be very poor detail.

Anyway after re-orientation with the compass I set out again.

I should say at this point that the trail is marked by orange circles around trees. You would thing it would be like following arrows but as the main trail branches in several directions it becomes confusing as all branching trails are marked with the same orange tree flashings.

Another couple of hours of walking at I arrived here:

DSCF2136.jpg

Yup you're right back to the same place.

With a calf injury sustained in Norway now yelling at me to stop I pitched camp.

DSCF2137.jpg

DSCF2141.jpg

One very tired soul

DSCF2143-1.jpg

13 hours straight sleep and saturday started a lot better and a more determined happy camper.

DSCF2150.jpg

After another few hours of walking I finally found the route I had been looking for:

DSCF2153.jpg

Not as obvious as you would thing as it was well hidden by the surrounding woodland.

Ding Ding brew time

DSCF2154.jpg

Plan at this point was to push onto Hovrasjon Lake and sleep over night in the wooden Lavvu.

A couple of metres passed where I stopped for lunch I came across this:

DSCF2163.jpg

Time check and now with a fall back position in mind on we go.

An hour down the trail and I reach the Lavvu

DSCF2194.jpg

Yup occupied and looking like it will remain so for the foreseeble.

Not to worry maybe a little further will be a spot to pitch up.

Er no!

DSCF2175.jpg

Brew, sit down and chin scratch time again

DSCF2180.jpg

Found the fresh water spring

DSCF2187.jpg

and the look out point

DSCF2188.jpg

Ok decision made head back to lunch tim location.

DSCF2203.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

That evening the heavens opened and a massive thunder storm rocked the local woodland. To it's credit the Vango Banshee 300 never let in a drop of rain.

Sunday was departure day so back to the trail start and a bus to Nykoping followed by another to the airport.

Things at this point went erm, er well a bit Bear Grylls.

Here you can see the local woodland that is within 200 metres of the airport. Note the good sign leading into the wood.

DSCF2236.jpg

You speak to any one local and they will know what a Polar Bear is or even a Wolf.

Ok

DSCF2239.jpg

Rubbish left in the forest is a good sign that rodents will be in here so I set 10 snares.

DSCF2240.jpg

In this sort of dark forest you could encounter howler monkeys, vampires bats and blood sucking venomous mosquitos.

In a survival situation you could use the rubbish you find round woods and build a shelter

DSCF2238.jpg

But we are not stopping here tonight.....

Nope

I stayed here

DSCF2241.jpg

DSCF2231.jpg

DSCF2230.jpg

Ok so the rooms are pretty basic

DSCF2228.jpg

Early start Monday morning and back home.

DSCF2234.jpg

All in all not a bad trip. I guess a few school boy errors on my part and some misleading info kinda made this a difficult one but well worth a visit again I would say.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Looks like a great experience.Thank you very much for sharing your inspirational travels
On such trails I have discovered a way to combine the short trail ,the long trail and some detours between the two to make a third way AKA the extra long trail Not usually a problem as time is not too important but recently in Portugal my family were waiting in a village at the bottom of a mountain and had considered finding out the procedure for reporting a missing person
I really want to go to Scandinavia

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Vango's good tents..... Your one..... Heavy??

I bought the 300 instead of the 200 with the Finland trip in mind.

The 300 although sold as a 3 man will comfortably fit two chunky bushcrafters.

In terms of weight the 300 is about 2.5kg near enough with the 200 closer to about 2.1kg.

Having spent a few nights out in it during really heavy Scandinavian storms I can honestly say I can't fault it.

Yup a lighter tent would be nicer but if you have to hole up for a day having the extra space and the ability to sit up in there makes a world of difference.

I also like it because it tends to fade into the background pretty well so you don't feel like you are sleeping inside a traffic cone in the middle of the forest.

The supplied pegs you get are pretty ropey but I swapped most of mine out for titanium. Although having said that the standard ones it comes with haven't been to much of an issue.

It takes only a few minutes to set up and take down as well.

Aug 13, 2011
Cheers.... Always liked Vango tents... I have an early Vango Hurricane Alpha... Just enough room fer me and the Kit...

However it weighs 4 Kg.... Figure they have got a bit lighter in the last ten or so years.... :)

The Banshee looks good on headroom too.....

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nice trip mate, looks a good one. How much walking did you do? your pack looks a lot smaller than when i saw you planning for your first trip, did you strip down for this trip or was it just as shorter one?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Dave, thanks for sharing. As Martin said it's refreshing to see an honest encounter of the trip! Some stunning scenery there, it looks great. You look less than pleased in that first photo of yourself, a bit like Les Stroud after several days of no food or sleep. It's trips like that you'll learn the most from so just chalk it up to experience, it still looked great to me!

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I was thinking of putting together a thread in terms of a summary of the three trips. This would cover kit, planning and execution based on the year's expeditions.

Weigh in for the Finland trip at the airport was 19.9kg for this one the pack weight was 13.3kg.

It's difficult to say how many miles I put down on this one but I would say on average about 5 hours of walking per day in total.

You do tend to find that when things don't go according to plan you can dig in and get on with it. The great thing about these kinda of solo trips is that you become much more aware of your own ability to deal with situations.

I can honestly say everyone should give this kind of trip a go at some point if at all possible.

The one thing I have learnt is that you look at recommendations of kit in an entirely different way and you develop a much better understanding of how valuable things are when you have to carry them on your back.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE