Article: Wild Stoves: woodgas stove review (YT vid)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hushwing

Feb 19, 2012
Stirling
Thanks for the video - good effort. I have the same stove and at first had a wee struggle with it but if you follow your way of feeding the wood and other advice then it works a real treat. I love this stove now - even more than the 'easier' gas stoves. And (I think like you) am fascinated how easy it is to keep it ticking over on the charcoals and then add wood and 'wow', off it takes again. Tried a couple of adaptations by using a large can on top (both as a windshield and to allow longer wood to be put in) but you know what - it works best just as it is!! :)
Have found a windshield reduces the boil time down to as quick as 3mins 40s or so but is usually just either side of 4 mins. Can use a tent peg or other stick to push in the wood as you refill it from the side - ensures you don't burn yourself then (but that is relatively hard to do anyway).
Have also used a meths pop can penny stove in it and that worked well also (obvioulsy the jets don't then come into play) but the stove can then act as a widnshield and stand combined.
Have used this as a small heat-your-hands-fire in condtions of -2 degC and was quite effective.

Cheers again >Hushwing

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I guess I'm not too unusual on this site because I love playing with fire:) As a result I tend to accumulate stoves of all types and have done for many decades. The woodgas ones I've been looking at for a while, including the fan-assisted ones, but have yet to pull the trigger on one - if for no other reason than the fact that my Emberlit stainless steel one does such a brilliant job as a woodburner, particularly the ease of feeding in lengths of wood. (another benefit of the rocket stoves too - again something I've resisted buying so far!).

Of all the woodgas variants on the market, however, I must admit that this particular one ticks most of the boxes. I like the wider base than the bushbuddy etc, and the overall design looks impressive. Still doesn't pack flat like the Emberlit, but I could live with that.

Thanks for the video - another item to add to my list of shinies it seems!

Hushwing

Feb 19, 2012
Stirling
For those of you waiting for your tea to brew or need to get some sleep urgently then the follow document isn't full of jokes but quite interesting in that they have compared various woodstoves for their clean burn, amount of wood used etc. Most are bigger than camping stove size but it does put the woodgasifiers like the wild stoves one in a reasonably good light.

http://www.pciaonline.org/files/Test-Results-Cookstove-Performance.pdf

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For those of you waiting for your tea to brew or need to get some sleep urgently then the follow document isn't full of jokes but quite interesting in that they have compared various woodstoves for their clean burn, amount of wood used etc. Most are bigger than camping stove size but it does put the woodgasifiers like the wild stoves one in a reasonably good light.

http://www.pciaonline.org/files/Test-Results-Cookstove-Performance.pdf

Interesting bit from that article. In the summarisation it says "
Carbon monoxide and particulate matter alwaysform when fuel and air do not completely mix, andcomplete mixing does not occur in stoves with natural​
draft".

This seems to be a conclusion based on the performance of the fan-assisted wood-gas and wood-flame stoves. However, the point about wood-gas stoves - fan-assisted or not - is that they do have a secondary burn above the fire where the previously unburnt wood-gas is ignited - they in effect create their own draft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE