army signup ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
hello all

i have hit a dead in my somewhat young age and have decided to join the army.
ive already applied and am now worrying that they will not accept me due to my teeth being in bad shape.
i know the simple answer is CLEAN YOUR TEETH but im looking for an answer like (they will accept you but you will have to sign an medical waiver)

thanks in advance !

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I hope this is not out of line but if you are also out of work, on JSA you can get your teeth fixed for free. I have never heard of anyone getting a wavier but they should still process you through the selection process while the teeth are being worked on. I would also say that the fact that you have made steps to get your teeth sorted would work in your favour.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If you are scared as I was, take the sort of friend who wont let you chicken out.

(I had fillings done in that resin, much nicer than the metal type)

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Bad teeth won't be a problem. And British Army dental care is excellent. Do it. It'll be the best decision you ever make (although it might not seem that way for the first few weeks of basic ;) )

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
It's worth kicking up a fuss if the doctor tries to fail you. If they're recruiting then the Army wants you. If a doctor tries to fail you, don't go down without a fight.
I failed a medical because one thigh was 4 inches smaller than the other one (recovering from a bike accident.) I went straight to a NHS physio and got them to take a look at it and to test its strength. They said it was strong enough for heavy exercise and put it in writing for me. I then gave the letter to the Army who insisted I had another medical immediately rather than waiting a year like the doctor had suggested. The 2nd medical was with the same doctor, but this time she backed down and I passed no problems.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Could you not go t the dentist n get em sorted?

the dentist im with is the only one available within my travelling distance bearing in mind i have to catch the train to get there
all they want to do is take out all of my molars and 6 other teeth so yeah bit of a dilemma really

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi mate, don't worry about your teeth, it's secondary to your physical health, the army will sort your teeth out, even give you dentures. I had a friend who lost all his teeth due to gum disease, he was still in when I left. Speak with you next week at the meet.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
just to let you all know ive been through the application now and am waiting on the medical questionnaire any tips for the hole sign up phase would be greatly appreciated

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
just to let you all know ive been through the application now and am waiting on the medical questionnaire any tips for the hole sign up phase would be greatly appreciated

Tips? Don't just except the first specialty (trade) they offer. Do your research now and chose something you can use later after your service.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Tips? Don't just except the first specialty (trade) they offer. Do your research now and chose something you can use later after your service.

This is really good advice, the military isn't necessarily for life but it does offer the opportunity to give you high quality transferable skills, experience & most importantly qualifications.

Make sure you research what's offered to you at the careers office; lots of guys join up with no real idea what their job will be once they get through recruit & trade training. It sounds cheesy but have goals you would like to achieve and what ever you do make the most of your time. Although the Army will expect you to work hard there are lots of opportunities if your willing to take them.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
This is really good advice, the military isn't necessarily for life but it does offer the opportunity to give you high quality transferable skills, experience & most importantly qualifications.

Make sure you research what's offered to you at the careers office; lots of guys join up with no real idea what their job will be once they get through recruit & trade training. It sounds cheesy but have goals you would like to achieve and what ever you do make the most of your time. Although the Army will expect you to work hard there are lots of opportunities if your willing to take them.

This is very good advice too. When I joined up I never knew what I wanted to do but did end up getting a trade and the qualifications I gained in the army guided my career when I got out.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
When I was a Crab, I can only say the dentists were great, I had a problem with my 2 front teeth, which I damaged on an assault course and they looked after me very well.
Dont know what happens now but when I joined up I completed a medical questionaire, went for a medical before I joined up and as soon as I was in basic training went through a few other medical stuff. My only advice at this time is to get out running and get as fit as you can before you join up - try and do something every day, as you will get run ragged during basic.

PS learn how to use an iron also.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It must of changed then. I remember in the 80's mates with bad teeth and serving. Try and get them sorted if possible but as already been said the army dentists are great.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
You probably already know but you can find a lot of answers to this kind of thing on the army rumour service forums (ARRSE.com), helped me out a lot while I was considering joining

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE