Arizzon Wolverine Monolith MKII 90L backpack - The verdict after 3 years of ownership

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
So, this is my first review.:eek: I'll add updates, edit and review this if people show any interest/have any questions.

It has been three years since I stumped up the bravery to hand out £250 plus £20 odd quid shipping to get my hands on this, the Arizzon Wolverine Monolith MKII. The honeymoon period is most definitely over and I've recovered from the large hole in my wallet. So, what's it been like to live with over three years of week in week out usage?

Before we get started let's take a brief look at the technical specs taken from the manufacturers website:

"Arizzon Wolverine [90]L Monolith II GEN

fabric: CORDURA 1100D, triple PU coating, DWR, IR filter
IR filter on straps, YKK buckles (NATO specified), YKK zips
capacity:
70L to the collar + 12L top flap pocket = 82L
92L including collar + 12L top flap pocket = 104L
pouches 2 x 10L (optional)
(price per pouch 35€)
W90 - overall 124L (including pouches)
measurements: circumference 116 cm; height to the collar 65,5 cm; height of the collar 28 cm; back width 28 cm
weight: 2750 g, pouch set 400 g"

And so it begins..

I was looking for something really, really strong. Yes, it is certainly over engineered for anything I'm likely to do with it, but it inspires confidence and hasn't missed a beat in the last three years. I don't abuse it but I'm not gentle with it either, this one has been dropped down a few hills accidentally and gets usage every week camping and grocery hauling. Before this I was getting a cheap pack almost every year and I think the investment has been worth it. Now, to the bag:
2013-05-18 12.47.34.jpg2013-05-18 12.49.16.jpg2013-05-18 12.49.41.jpg2013-05-18 12.50.00.jpg2013-05-18 12.51.15.jpg
My first impressions three years ago have not much changed with experience, the bag is well constructed and has bartacs at just about every single point you could want them and two where is a stress point such as the shoulder strap anchor point. These aren't done half heartedly and alot of thread has gone into each of these to really create a bar. Since the MKI, they have added larger side pockets. Before it was hard to fit anything over an A5 notebook in them, now they EAT my '58 bottle and cup, keeping it there securely. A nice improvement and a great feature. I've even mounted a tent in the pocket and strapped it down with the side straps on the bag. Another thumbs up here. The three grab handles, one on top and two on each side are just great. It's a joy to move it around and they're well planted and comfy to use. The suspension system is pretty good. I'm a little on the large side for this pack at 6'4" but it does a reasonable job of keeping the weight off my shoulders. I'm sure it would keep it almost totally on your hops if you're even two inches shorter. It is very finely adjustable once you have moved the straps to the right place on the internal frame and feels very secure without being restrictive. The straps themselves are generously padded and have kept their shape and form over three years of usage, if anything they could probably be a little thinner and achieve the same result but they're perfectly comfortable when out and about in the sticks.

In terms of overall general design, I'd say a 7/10. Why you might ask? I have a few small little things that could be improved. The honeymoon period is certainly over after all, and the mind naturally wonders to improvements at this point. The molle on the bag is laid out in three bands each of two strips of webbing as you can see in the 1st pic. This is fine for smaller pockets but for larger items such as an admin panel this leaves it only half attached. I would have liked to have seen no molle or total molle. I've never used the molle on here given its half hearted nature. The webbing is however, very, very well planted on the bag and not likely to come off anytime soon.

The second little issue is the Molle grid on top of the lid. This is 4*3 as the end channels are sewn through for some strap anchor points (straps removed in photos). I'd have preferred these to have attached outside of the molle webbing to give a 6*3 grid for my admin pouch. Not a serious issue but a small gripe all the same.
2013-05-18 12.48.04.jpg

2013-05-18 13.01.42.jpg2013-05-18 12.50.00.jpg2013-05-18 13.03.19.jpg2013-05-18 12.52.53.jpg
For a 90L bag this can hide its size well, The floating lid is excellent and hopefully these pictures show the range to which it can be filled. Even if the lid is a little oversized when you're not running the bag at full capacity, I think it works nicely and in a civilised manner without too much effort. Together with the snow collar and PU backing to the Cordura, it remains waterproof whatever size you end up running it in. I've left it out in the rain overnight on the Isle of Skye and found the insides to be perfectly dry come the morning, despite the wet look of the Cordura. Thumbs up! The waist belt does not detach which may bother some people but on a 90L pack, I can't really see that you'd want to ever detach it to be honest, but from experience I know this is true on the 70L and 50L packs too. The snow collar is reassuringly large and when extended feels like you're delving into Aladdin's cave such is the distance to the divider for the sleeping bag compartment.

2013-05-18 12.56.35.jpg
We also have one pocket on the top of the lid. This is roomy and easily accessible. The flap to cover the zip has a habit of rolling up but it's still pretty much water proof given that the pocket is sewn on top of, and not into, the lid so the lids Pu coating keeps all below dry. On the underside of the lid is a small pocket just big enough for a toothbrush and a few related essentials.

EDIT: I've forgotten to take pics of the sleeping bag compartment and the bottom access panel. I'll add some pics and a bit more on this when I get home tomorrow evening.

I've owned a Karrimor Predator 45L, and the build quality is easily double as good, if not more, as you'd hope for just over twice the price Arizzon ask! Overall, the strength and comfort of this Monolith are absolutely top quality, it only drops some minor marks for a few small design niggles. Would I buy another? Yes, I've had a good experience but I'd like to try a Kifaru Pointman or MMR if I could ever afford one!

Overall design: 7/10
Overall strengh and quality: 9/10
Overall Mark: 8/10

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I rather like the look of their 50 litre version. I take it that you would recommend them, then over and above the Karrimor/Lowe/Berghaus equivalents? As a matter of interest, where did you get yours?

Your review is very useful: concise and frank - many thanks for it!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
nice write up mate. I have the 70l. I love it for those heavy load times. I did have the zip in the lid pocket break but should be an easy fix when i get to it.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I rather like the look of their 50 litre version. I take it that you would recommend them, then over and above the Karrimor/Lowe/Berghaus equivalents? As a matter of interest, where did you get yours?

Your review is very useful: concise and frank - many thanks for it!
I brought the 50L earlier this year but had to sell it due to my laptop breaking and needing to free up some cash for a replacement to write the dreaded dissertation:aargh4:. I rate that one just as highly as the 90L. It is worth noting that the adjustable suspension system for the back is a bit shorter on the 50L as it features shorter aluminum stays. I never measured it but it's worth dropping Arizzon a line if your taller than about 6 foot and load it up!

In terms of being a better bag than Karrimor, this is like night and day for me. The comfort and quality of a decent hip belt is worth its weight in gold as it is on any pack, not just this Arizzon. The build quality and waterproofing is superb. If you have a look at the bartacs that hold down the webbing and stress points on the Karrimor range, it is adequate, but not half as good as the Arizzon, but that's what you'd hope for given twice the asking price! The waterproofing on the Karrimor range is not as good as the Monolith in my own view and equally from what I've read, the build quality is higher on Kifaru, but they are again usually twice the price of the Arizzon range anyway... Karrimor do make decent stuff don't get me wrong, just this is a different league.

I have to be honest, I've never owned a Lowe or used one and have only a weekend usage on a borrowed Berghaus Munro which isn't that similar to the Monolith I have so I can't answer that I'm afraid. I know BareThrills on here has a 70L Monolith which he took to Estonia and he loved it, perhaps drop him a PM and see if he has used a Lowe or Berghaus before?

The only negative point I'd make about the other non Olive Drab colours is the grade of Corudra is different and features only a single PU coating on the Multicam and a double on the Coyote Brown if I recall correctly. I had a discussion about the relative grades of Cordura and PU coatings with one of the chaps from Arizzon when I first inquired, I don't have the email anymore but I'm sure they would tell you if you dropped them a line. They don't have this bit of information on their English half of the site last time I checked, that's my only reservation about their customer service, the English side of the site isn't complete.

The ordering process from their website is not possible if you are outside Poland, instead they take payment via Paypal and ship it out to you via UPS or some such carrier. I have seen them on Amazon in the UK but I have no experience dealing with them on there and prefer to cut out Amazon anyway.

nice write up mate. I have the 70l. I love it for those heavy load times. I did have the zip in the lid pocket break but should be an easy fix when i get to it.
Thanks :) Indeed, this is a great bag if you're going heavy and bulky. Nothing I've tried personally has beaten it but I've never tried on a Kifaru, or been rich enough to afford one!

I forgot to mention that, the zip to the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom seems a little on the small side, even with buckles to remove the tension, given that Kifaru use YKK #10 IIRC... That said, I've never had any issues with the zips on mine. I've only broken a buckle from closing a car door on it...

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for all the information. I'm 6'1" - so a tad taller than the six foot you mentioned; do you think it would still be worth tracking down the longer staves? I was going to use it for shorter, lighter trips...

I was definitely going to opt for the Olive Drab colour - the camo. ones are just a bit too military for my use and taste.

Communicating with the company in Poland, there does seem to be a distributor now for these packs in the U.K. so I reckon I'll try them and see what happens.

Many thanks, again, for your help and advice. These do look as though they bridge the gap between Kifaru and the other, more readily obtainable brands.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm guessing the side pouches are a seperate purchase with this pack.
Do you know if they are dedicated zips or does the PLCE zips fit.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm guessing the side pouches are a seperate purchase with this pack.
Do you know if they are dedicated zips or does the PLCE zips fit.

They clip in john to anchors that attached to the molle. anchors are provided with the pouches. There is a larger pouch to put on the front too. they are extra wonga yes

May 22, 2012
scotland
http://www.progearsolutions.co.uk/Arizzon-Wolverine-backpack-coyote-brown/dp/B006QXEFJC

This is their UK dealer/importer. A few months ago I bought the Wolverine 32 and picked it up myself because the dealer is only about 20 miles from me. I say dealer, it`s just a Polish guy working from a bedroom in a terraced house in West Lothian. I believe they are also available from Amazon. I haven`t used the bag in the field as my currrent favourite is a Blackhawk Cyclone.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I'm 6'1" - so a tad taller than the six foot you mentioned; do you think it would still be worth tracking down the longer staves? I was going to use it for shorter, lighter trips...
I don't think the longer stays would fit the pack as the pocket where they sit is only as big as the original stays. As for seeing how comfortable it is, I'd recommend contacting Arizzon about it directly as I can only estimate from my own experience!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My 50 litre version of this Arizzon pack arrived today. Initial impressions are very positive, though I have had to trim off some of the surplus tape and buckles. I also forked out for a pair of pockets to extend the pack's usability. These will, I hope, be useful though they might compromise the use of the wand pockets as water bottle holders. It seems that the pictures on the publicity show one of the larger packs with pockets as, on the 50 litre one, the compression straps don't quite sit in a 'useful' place on the pockets. The flap covering the zip on the lid pocket is pretty modest, too and, when fully loaded, I don't imagine that it'll cover/protect the zip especially fully and well. Time will tell!

The pack is very, very well made and the fabric and its coatings are certainly burly enough for sustained hard use.

I'm sure that this will be a great pack and that my enthusiasm for it will develop with time. Now, I'd better get out and give it a decent trial!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hey, Tiley.......a couple of questions if you don't mind, as I've been thinking of that pack; would you post a few pics of the compression strap/pocket thing? and if you've got PLCE pouches, are they compatible?
I'd appreciate it, if you've got time................atb mac

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hey, Tiley.......a couple of questions if you don't mind, as I've been thinking of that pack; would you post a few pics of the compression strap/pocket thing? and if you've got PLCE pouches, are they compatible?
I'd appreciate it, if you've got time................atb mac

I'll try and post some pictures of the pocket/compression strap conundrum soon! I have been thinking about whether I actually need the pockets - after all, I've got a bigger pack for those more extended stays in the wilds. That said, I suppose they do add versatility. Anyway, when exam marking and reports are done with, I'll get some photos done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE