Are articles sponsored? Where's my comment gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I made a comment on the Zippo bag article saying it could be found cheaper elsewhere. That comment seems to have disappeared. My conclusion is that some of the articles are actually adverts so suggestion for purchasing elsewhere are deleted?

Is this the case? If so can that please be made clear in the Article - they're more informercials than articles.

Thanks

Mike

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ?

No idea tbh. I'll flag it for Admin to have a look though Mike.

Other folks comment on the article threads though......unless it's an Article that's been extracted from a main forum thread in which case it'll have been pared back.

Don't know; we'll see what Admin say.

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a comment on the Zippo bag article saying it could be found cheaper elsewhere. That comment seems to have disappeared. My conclusion is that some of the articles are actually adverts so suggestion for purchasing elsewhere are deleted?

Is this the case? If so can that please be made clear in the Article - they're more informercials than articles.

Thanks

Mike

You are commenting on a review I wrote and I strongly object to having my integrity put into question.
I chose the items I review, put in the hours testing them and write a review with no influence put on me at all by the supplier of the item. The suppliers do get to see the draft of the article for technical correction and comment BUT UNLESS THEY WANT TO CORRECT A FACTUAL ERROR IN WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN THEY DO NOT GET TO CHANGE ANYTHING! If they think that I have been too critical they get the right to block the review while any issues are resolved. I get no money from the suppliers or from the site for my reviews, though for the articles I write on the same bits of kit in the printed media I do get paid - by the magazine buying the unbiased review from me.
If it was thought that I am in the pay of gear makers I would lose all credibility and I would then stop writing!
My reviews are my opinions NOT infomercials and I resent your implications.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You are commenting on a review I wrote and I strongly object to having my integrity put into question.
I chose the items I review, put in the hours testing them and write a review with no influence put on me at all by the supplier of the item. The suppliers do get to see the draft of the article for technical correction and comment BUT UNLESS THEY WANT TO CORRECT A FACTUAL ERROR IN WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN THEY DO NOT GET TO CHANGE ANYTHING! If they think that I have been too critical they get the right to block the review while any issues are resolved. I get no money from the suppliers or from the site for my reviews, though for the articles I write on the same bits of kit in the printed media I do get paid - by the magazine buying the unbiased review from me.
If it was thought that I am in the pay of gear makers I would lose all credibility and I would then stop writing!
My reviews are my on opinions NOT infomercials and I resent your implications.

Hold on John - I wasn't questioning your integrity in anyway. But it's often the case that a supplier will hand over a product to review with terms and conditions attached. ie. the review can be honest but please only put a link to purchase it point at the supplier. If you purchase all the gear you review then brilliant. If it is sent to you free to review then I believe that should be stated. Nowhere did I question the content of your review other than asking if the link to the supplier is a contractual arrangement for reviewing the item.

I was trying to think of a reason my comment had been removed (even though it transpires it hadn't). It was the only thing I could think of - hence the thread taking the form of a question.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hold on John - I wasn't questioning your integrity in anyway. But it's often the case that a supplier will hand over a product to review with terms and conditions attached. ie. the review can be honest but please only put a link to purchase it point at the supplier. If you purchase all the gear you review then brilliant. If it is sent to you free to review then I believe that should be stated. Nowhere did I question the content of your review other than asking if the link to the supplier is a contractual arrangement for reviewing the item.

I was trying to think of a reason my comment had been removed (even though it transpires it hadn't). It was the only thing I could think of - hence the thread taking the form of a question.

Some of the items I review are bought out of my own pocket, most are sent to me by the suppliers.
I only include the name of the supplier so that folk can get more info of where to find the item and the RRP or SRP.
This is standard practice in the reviewing world of journalism.
I do not see why you would see a review written on an item supplied for free by a companies PR people would be less honest than one written on a piece of kit bought by the reviewer - unless you doubt the integrity of the reviewer...
I review for a living (of a kind) and have done for over 20 years.
If my integrity was doubted by magazine editors I would not sell many reviews!

If you read any of my reviews in future then take it that they have been supplied free - most of them are - just as any reviews you read of kit in the glossy mags are of kit supplied for free.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you read any of my reviews in future then take it that they have been supplied free - most of them are - just as any reviews you read of kit in the glossy mags are of kit supplied for free.

It's a little different on a forum like this where the likes of myself or anyone else can review a piece of kit which then Tony can elect to make an article - so thanks for clarifying that.

Have you ever done a negative review that a supplier has blocked for the forum or elsewhere? From the mechanism you describe it sounds like this is a possibility? Again - not questioning your integrity, just under what circumstances articles are agreed and submitted.

I do not see why you would see a review written on an item supplied for free by a companies PR people would be less honest than one written on a piece of kit bought by the reviewer - unless you doubt the integrity of the reviewer...

I know from experience (years ago in another life I used to review computer games) that a bad review of a free item would end up in the PR company sending any future games elsewhere - usually we just didn't review the bad stuff because of this.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's a little different on a forum like this where the likes of myself or anyone else can review a piece of kit which then Tony can elect to make an article - so thanks for clarifying that.

Have you ever done a negative review that a supplier has blocked for the forum or elsewhere? From the mechanism you describe it sounds like this is a possibility? Again - not questioning your integrity, just under what circumstances articles are agreed and submitted.

I know from experience (years ago in another life I used to review computer games) that a bad review of a free item would end up in the PR company sending any future games elsewhere - usually we just didn't review the bad stuff because of this.

Actually - I have not had a supplier block a review .. yet!
I have had suppliers (UK sole distributors) ask me to write a review, of an absolute stinker of a USA made multitool, and insisted that every damning word was published .. just to show the manufacturer why they refused to distribute the item against the manufacturers wishes.
Other items I have had that were total rubbish I have refused to review in full but have returned to the supplier with notes on its failings. Some "improved" items have then been resubmitted by them for review. Sometimes, after review the manufacturer requests the return of review samples ... though not many do this as most reviewers see the review sample as their "fee".
I know of many gear reviewers who have huge gear collections and others who sell on the used review samples of items they have covered - the second hand value of most used kit is pretty low! Others pass used review kit on to charities/friends/relatives.
I have had the experience of folk coming to a meet wearing gear that I have donated to my local charity shop :)
Most of the kit I review for BcUK has been acquired for review samples to be written up for magazines I freelance for - such as Gun Mart. I get to pick and chose most the kit I get for review so rarely get any duff stuff, having looked it over at trade shows first.
Interestingly I did get told by the PR of one famous Scandinavian clothing and gear company that they would not send me one of a NUMBER of their rucksacks as it was not built for outdoor use, just as a "lifestyle look" bit of gear!

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Actually - I have not had a supplier block a review .. yet!
I have had suppliers (UK sole distributors) ask me to write a review, of an absolute stinker of a review of a USA made multitool, and insisted that every damning word was published .. just to show the manufacturer why they refused to distribute the item against the manufacturers wishes.
Other items I have had that were total rubbish I have refused to review in full but have returned to the supplier with notes on its failings. Some "improved" items have then been resubmitted by them for review. Sometimes, after review the manufacturer requests the return of review samples ... though not many do this as most reviewers see the review sample as their "fee".
I know of many gear reviewers who have huge gear collections and others who sell on the used review samples of items they have covered - the second hand value of most used kit is pretty low! Others pass used review kit on to charities/friends/relatives.
I have had the experience of folk coming to a of wearing gear that I have donated to my local charity shop :)
Most of the kit I review for BcUK has been acquired for review samples to be written up for magazines I freelance for - such as Gun Mart. I get to pick and chose most the kit I get for review so rarely get any duff stuff, having looked it over at trade shows first.
Interestingly I did get told by the PR of one famous Scandinavian clothing and gear company that they would not send me one of a NUMBER of their rucksacks as it was not built for outdoor use, just as a "lifestyle look" bit of gear!

Interesting stuff John - thanks for elaborating. No hard feelings I hope?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a disagreement or misunderstanding on the internet ought to be handled.

Shame it isn't always like that.

Well done to Mountainm and John Fenna. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE