Arctic Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
After taking it out for it's second jaunt to the far North I decided that my self-modded Polish Laavu is not my shelter of choice. For the space I get, I feel the weight and effort to set it up is too much to be justified. I've been looking at Wayland's Adirondack tarp mod he recently designed as a future possibility for any further Arctic trips, but have also been looking at the various different types of tents and shelters available. I was wondering what people feel makes up an Arctic tent/shelter? What should I be looking for in the designs/products?

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
Not that I'll ever truly utilise it but the Frisort Krokskogen Lavvu I have may be up to the job. It endured a full on storm there and shrugged it off. I did fully guy it out though and adjusted them during the night.
How about a ridge tent?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Are you looking for a tent for long term static use or something to move around with?

For static use where there is a good source of wood, I would probably go for a Helsport or Tentipi Lavvu with a wood burning stove or if space/weight is an issue, a fire box.
For a more mobile choice or where there are no trees, I would be inclined to get a proper mountain tent such as a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2, these can take a beating, have a design that will retain more warmth and have proven many times in the high peaks of the world, that you can live in them for weeks at a time.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you can always find cover near a forest, then how about silnylon?

April30%202006%20TiGoat%20setup.jpg

TiGoat_tent.jpg

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What makes an arctic shelter? For me it must be a free-standing 5-season shelter that keeps out spindrift and can support the weight of a heavy overnight dump of snow. Ideally it will allow you to use a stove inside for those days when the wind or snowfall just doesn't subside.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
My focus would be finding any tent (I have no experience with Lavvus really) with good/great ventilation to avoid condesation.

To this I would have to add a good sleeping bag (because of no stove) and a suitable shovel (to dig in a bit or add snow to the bottom of the tent fly, to counteract wind and spindrift.)

If the weather is really bad, I would dig in. A hole in a slope of a ravine, gully or the like.

Cheers
Greger

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
This is some really great feedback. I'm aware that shelter is a matter of personal preference, so it's great to see the varying opinions

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Completely depends on what part of the arctic the shelter is to be used in. For treeless tundra, a freestanding 4 season mountaineering tent is the norm and must have the qualities Bob lists.

For the boreal forests and much lower wind speeds and with a fire for warmth, options widen considerably. Snow bombs must be accounted for. The shelter must be erectable with gloves or mitts on.

Personally, I find hammocking optimal in the winter boreal forest or in a Baker style setup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE