Apple pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Anyone ever heard of putting a pear, singular, in anapple pie to bring out the flavour of the apples?

My maternal grandmother swore by this, but my mum can't remeber, am I going mad?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
hello , i used to be a baker amongst other things and a pear in a apple pie really works, also i just been told that if you do an open top apple pie to peg a bay leaf onto an apple with a couple of coves it really brings it out but sling the leaf and pies after, cheers , all

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My ex-mother-in-law used to make a considerably less bushcraft-worthy apple pie, as it had no apples in it. Instead, the filling was made from crackers. Her husband assured me that I'd never be able to tell the difference (and boy was he wrong), but all I could wonder was why we lived in one of the major agricultural areas of the USA and yet they felt compelled to use an apple substitute. And people ask me why my marriage failed...

And Tony, I hope you made enough of that pie for everyone here, hm?

S

sez

I'm sorry, I must be going deaf...cracker pie??? :shock: I don't know, I seem to remember what you (ie american) call a cracker is not what I (ie Brit)do, but it sounds...dry.

I shall have to try the pear trick. I've been making a lot of apple and blackberry crumbles recently {I think I'm turning into an extra from the Fast Show}.

Sez

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Don't wish to hijack the topic by veering too far from apples, but honestly, the filling was made with crackers. Saltines, from Nabisco, I believe. It wasn't dry (though I forget what liquid was added) but that's probably the only redeeming feature.

Don't recall Americans using another word for cracker, to be honest. Sure you're not thinking of biscuit / cookie? And despite living there for a long while I'm British rather than American.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE