anyone know about Coleman powerhouse pumps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just got my powerhouse lantern out of the shed for a test run and the pump wont pump!

With me thumb over the hole it just builds pressure without transferring the air to wherever it normally goes
The plunger moves freely but it seems an air passage (into the tank?) Is blocked

Anyone had this before?
I'v taken the plunger out but couldn't see anything wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers........adam

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The plunger just needed unscrewing a bit. It was well lubed

Damn thing wont stay lit now though so i'm still fiddling lol

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If it goes out really suddenly, Dad always said it was dirt from some sort of corrosion in the gas tank.
I was too young to have the smarts to watch him fix it. We had several, from the farm.
I do remember him buying new pumps.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If you don’t get any joy here, I got some good advice on my lantern and stoves from this US based Coleman forum.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

They are a helpful and friendly lot but they do spend a lot of time discussing “turds” which are apparently a 1970s(?) brown Coleman lantern! Good luck.:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheers chaps

It lights just fine but as soon as the mantles start to glow it goes out. Theres still fuel coming out though

I'll try some fresh petrol tomorrow

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Cheers chaps

It lights just fine but as soon as the mantles start to glow it goes out. Theres still fuel coming out though

I'll try some fresh petrol tomorrow

Build up of “varnish” or other crud in the generator?

I stick a bit of carb cleaner in mine from time to time to help keep things clean when using unleaded but some people swear by panel wipe as a cheap clean alternative to Coleman fuel.

Most Coleman pumps lock the non return valve by turning the plunger c/wise, so to pump up you must first unscrew the valve 1/2 a turn counter c/wise , then pump with your thumb over the end as you described, then lock the valve shut before lighting.
I would avoid using unleaded fuel, it just gums up the vaporiser, and yes quality naphtha based panel wipe is a good substitute for expensive Coleman fuel

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE