another flippin wasps nest....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
In the loft this time.
always june/july isn't it?
well i've got to get up there tonight wearing my dorkiest costume to protect myself and see what i can do about it.
hopefully it won't be too big, i'm hoping to have some of that projectile spray by later on and i'll back myself up with a vacuum.
and yeah its one of those spinny clear plastic jobs. it'll make for interesting viewing i'll say that :D
see if i can get any decent shots later.

anybody else had to deal with any so far?
pete

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Never had one myself but would probably be inclined to use some sort of high explosive (if it was not in a house of course)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We had some in the loft a couple of years ago, you could hear them munching on the wooden rafters when we were laid in bed. Luckily I know a pest controller who came round and sorted them out.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
In the loft this time.
always june/july isn't it?
well i've got to get up there tonight wearing my dorkiest costume to protect myself and see what i can do about it.
hopefully it won't be too big, i'm hoping to have some of that projectile spray by later on and i'll back myself up with a vacuum.
and yeah its one of those spinny clear plastic jobs. it'll make for interesting viewing i'll say that :D
see if i can get any decent shots later.

anybody else had to deal with any so far?
pete

Thankfully we have none this year, I reckon the cold winter has killed a lot off - but we've had our fair share over the years.
Frankly, I'd leave it till the morning, when it'll be cooler and they be less easily agitated. Forget the vacuum, it'll just get in the way if you have to jump for it and if its a big nest, there'll be more wasps than space in the cylinder - that and at some point you'll have to empty it!

A can or two of a good projectile spray - get in, spray the nest and get out! Then watch the nest for a few days from outside. If you need to, repeat the treatment but leave the nest untill winter to dispose of.

Good Luck

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What's the projectile spray ?
We just had the white powder stuff puffed where the wasps went in and out of the loft, and they carried it into the nest themselves and that killed the whole lot of them, brood included.
Bin bag over the lot and cut if free from the rafters with a bread knife.
Sorted.

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What's the projectile spray ?
cheers,
Toddy

Mary, its a dedicated nest aerosol spray treatment but it squirts in a jet for about 10 or 12 feet without breaking up into a mist, then coats the nest in a toxic (to wasps) foam. The powder is OK if you can get close to the entrance of the nest, but if the nest is in an attic, you can only get to the outer shell of the nest, not the entrance.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, gotcha.

We just watched the wasps flightpath and worked out where they were getting into the loft behind the fascia boards, and dusted the powder there. They took it into the nest with them and it got them all.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE