Trip Report An actual, full on, wild camp, in the wild?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Yep, it was! On the moors no less, without a tree to be seen! Those who watched my last trip out will know I was promising (to myself as much as anyone else) that I would branch out, no more camping within a short walk of home (I know, I'm lucky!) and commiting to finding a view.

0553e4f8069d98079348d4a12f3494de.jpg

Well, the view was excellent on the way up the hill, but getting to the hill was a little fraught. A later than desired start (yes, a common theme returns), a need to find some meths or equivalent, some Vango bio-ethanol spirit stuff, and forgetting my coat for a potentially sub zero camp was... interesting. Still, I hit the moor proper just as the sun was setting so had to fairly rapidly get a shelter to stay warm enough. No coat also meant cooking within said shelter, with predictable results. Condensation a gogo! Still, I'd brought the bivvy bag, so my sleeping bag was fine with the odd brush against damp tarp.

bebb7de938b3303e2f73d4c21e08ad41.jpg

My dream of a timelapse of the sunset was kind of fulfilled (fully automated version on a compact camera) but sunrise, well, the heavy fog/cloud scuppered that, and really kept the chill on, so breakfast was prepared in the tarp tent as well. And what a breakfast! I am calling it a sweet raisin bannock, but it is basically our drop scone mix, made up with water, and some raisins added. Cooked over the Trangia Mini, in the frypan, but with the pan over it forming a basic oven it was simply amazing! It tasted twice as good as it looked, and it looked awesome!!!

b27e8e6967389f353a185791c58453e2.jpg

b95c5c17adfdae531f251053e8f1751f.jpg

The cool temps made a brisk pack up the order of the day once bannock and coffee were finished and I returned to the car for the 50 minute drive home. Told you I had been brave ;-)

Anyhow, I had a great evening, the beginnings of a bit of a walk in and some proper wild camping. Apart from the cooking skills being transferrable and a bit of tarpology it wasn't really a bushcraft trip, but it's a trip I'll learn from and improve my prep and execution for next time.

As usual, if you fancy watching along, hit the link, and I'll now jump on my phone to add the pictures, so if you are reading this and there are no pic's, sorry! They will be here soon. Thanks for stopping by to read about the trip.

Chris.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Cool trip report, just had a glance through your YouTube channel..... I'm pretty sure that your camp's really close to mine. Awesome to see someone getting out locally, give me a shout if ever you fancy any company.

Cheers,

Stuart.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Cool trip report, just had a glance through your YouTube channel..... I'm pretty sure that your camp's really close to mine. Awesome to see someone getting out locally, give me a shout if ever you fancy any company.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Thank you, and yes, had a quick look at your profile and you are really close by. Thanks for the offer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thank you, and yes, had a quick look at your profile and you are really close by. Thanks for the offer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You're more than welcome, I wouldn't have said "offer" though personally, more a request to tag along :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE