Aluminium 58 water bottle cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Yes, you read that correctly...

I was given a bag of kit today and in amongst the other clothing type stuff was a "topless" 58 pattern water bottle and on its bottom an aluminium mug...

Near perfect fit to the bottle
Two fold down handles
black in colour (most of it)
No top folded rim

I have a modern crusader steel mug, I also have some 44 Patt mugs and the cheap chinese import mugs, and other bottle mugs but never seen anything like this before...

Anyone got an idea if this was an issue item ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wings :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Might be, but not 100%, have a look at the handle profile, the one you link to is a rounded handle, the one I have is more of a square profile, might just be an earlier or later model though.

Thanks for the input though, another piece to the puzzle :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No idea whether it was issued, but I'd definately go with puub's 85 patt i.d.
One of its failings was the lip - which were reknowned for either breaking or being left on when heated. I've managed to keep the lip intact on mine, but it got a minor singe on the one occasion I forgot to remove it :eek: .

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
85 patt images below.....

DSCF0018-1.jpg

DSCF0019-1.jpg

DSCF0020-1.jpg

HTH....

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Mines different to that one, mine doesn't have the ridges, the rounded base on the handles and has a different triangle holding the handles on.

No Idea,

It's probably a uber rare 'SAS / Para / Commando' Trials Mug..:rolleyes: It would probably fetch a pretty penny on the 'bay'. :)

If it'a anything like the 85 hot drinks become cold drinks rapidly and it'll blister your lips...

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Looking at the lip edge it looks like it had some sort of protection on it as there are scrath marks where it has been taken off and put on numerous times, probably 8 to 10mm in length.

Is the one at Penrith a replica or the genuine article?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
From memory.. I don't think there was a genuine article as such..

Back in the day it was either a plastic 58 pattern cup and brew up in your mess tins. Or find a 44 pattern mug which was hard to do. Or use the American mug which you could swap with the septics...

Then Survival Aids had the 85 pattern which was sold in the NAAFI along with DPM mapcases, green mess tins, trouser twists and other assorted tut.. I'm not sure it was an 'issue' item just a commercial product... but I'm probably wrong.... The best mug I used was a plastic Aladdin one with a clip on lid it kept a brew warm for hours....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE