1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Altimeter watch any suggestions please

Discussion in 'Brights, Gizmo's & toys' started by jdlenton, Oct 28, 2009.

1. jdlenton

jdlenton Full Member

HI folks I'm in the market for a watch with an altimeter on it for use in the mountains as an aid to navigation) I've had a look round and nothing takes my fancy just on looks. No one I know has a watch like this so cant ask them about function, can anyone recommend a watch that they have first hand knowledge off please I would be very grateful for your thoughts

James

2. Graham_S

Graham_S Squirrely!

I have a casio protrek that is very good.

3. lostagain

lostagain Need to contact Admin...

James,

I have one of these http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/product_short.jsp? CONTENT<>cnt_id=10134198673939642 Suunto X6 HR M (the metal one - looks better than the plastic one).

As it happens, I was thinking of selling, hardly used, looks brand new, all boxes etc as new, £150. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post some pictures and more details. (cheap plug for my watch! sorry !!:rolleyes: )

Back to your question. I like this watch and would recommend it. It does everything apart from make the tea and downloading the data after your trip makes a nice record of distance, height climbed, heart rate, altitude etc for the day or even weeks trip.

Lostagain.

4. Leonidas

Leonidas Settler

Hi James - I've had a Suunto X9Mi one of these for a couple of years now and the altimeter is great...
    The other gizmo's are good too including the GPS...

Link Here ;)

Cheers
    Tom

5. Gill

Gill Full Member

i,ve got a suunto vector,its a good bit of kit.

6. Gailainne

Gailainne Full Member

James

I had a casio Protek, and various :rolleyes: GPS devices, on the Protek, its not accurate, even when you have a datum point to set it to.

The GPS devices are far more accurate, but bulky, Suunto, are from the reading I have done the best of the bunch, its a bit chunky to wear on your wrist tho, shrug end of the day "you pay your money".

7. johnboy

johnboy New Member

Hi,

I'd say the Sunnto Vector... It's works well the altimeter is accurate ( if you understand how it works and take the oppertunity to reset it at an known elevation as your day progresses) it tells the time. has a good night light and the alarm is ok... The compass is ok but sucks the batteries dry I find... Sun cream has dissolved the logo off of the plastic case it's lost the level bubble in the face but everything else is ok. I'd avoid the reversed LCD display they look a bit SF but you cannot read them well with polarised sunnies on which if your above the snow line you'll be wearing.

I like the barometer graph bar on it as it's very useful for weather prediction in alpine terrain.

The strap is a good fit anf the buttons are large enough to use with a gloved hand. Sunnto did a really good job on the design...

I looked at Protreks before I bought and they seem too fiddly.. Even considered a Thommen Handheld altimeter.

The Vector has all the functions you're likely to want in a wrist top altimeter Recommended 150%....

Cheers

John

8. jdlenton

jdlenton Full Member

Thanks all i'll have a read around and ask any more questions when i have then
    great stuff :You_Rock_

James

9. bearbait

bearbait Full Member

Mid-Wales, UK and British Columbia, Canada
    It's not a watch - I know but this will give you, amongst other things, windspeed, windchill, barometric pressure as well as altitude. See http://www.silva.se/en/Products/Outdoor-Instruments/ADC---Atmospheric-Data-Center/?productId={EB425C6A-792C-4466-A0A6-693191BB21E8}

10. Ratbag

Ratbag Settler

Another recommendation for the Suunto ones from me, they're great

Rat

11. BorderReiver

BorderReiver Full Member

Suunto fan here too.

I have the previous model Observer, great bit of kit.:)

12. dwardo

dwardo Maker

I have a protrek and it works well. Like others say they are only accurate if you set them regular.

13. DB_Scaley

DB_Scaley Member

Has to be the Core, lots of people mention other Suunto watches but the CORE is the best of the bunch. Do not go for the one with the GPS, excessive battery drain and have to charge it all the time from your computer.

I am on my third Suunto and the core is the best for outdoor stuff, different models are suited to different activities, check out there website for more info.

Buy the one with the Orange strap and replace it with a black one, works out cheaper.

14. ruger_red

ruger_red Tenderfoot

The Tissot T touch is a smart and versatile watch. Perhaps one of them might suit?

15. Nonsuch

Nonsuch Full Member

Another vote for the Suunto Vector. Had mine five years. No problems.

Having said that the altimeter on my cheap Etrex GPS is far more accurate and doesn't depend on pressure changes....

NS

16. paulbibby

paulbibby Tenderfoot

suunto vector here i have had mine for2 years now and its brill