Alternative to Lavvu for winter Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
It is unlikely that I will be able to convince my bank manager/SWMBO (same person) to buying a Tentpi Varrie 9 so I wanted to get some opinions on another solution.
My requirements are simple really.
Must sleep 8 people (actually 2 adult double beds and 2 double beds for the kids) with the ability to have a divider between sleeping modules as well as an ability to use a wood stove.

My solution has pushed me to look at the
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/khyam-indiana-tent-2008-p-2729.html which is made of fireproof pollycotton and make a modification to the roof to allow for a flue opening. I am looking at buying a Helsport Stove as the heater.

Any views or am I being a dim as normal!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
How about the Cabelas Big Horn 2.

BigHornSideview.jpg

BigHornStove1.jpg

BigHornFront2.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...at20075&parentType=category&parentId=cat20075

I will probably get flamed for what I am going to say, but I thought very carefully before buying this, I looked at teepee's (all of em!!) and came to the conclusion that there is just too much unuseable space in a teepee, and with three kids, on a wet day the BH2 won!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I will probably get flamed for what I am going to say, but I thought very carefully before buying this, I looked at teepee's (all of em!!) and came to the conclusion that there is just too much unuseable space in a teepee, and with three kids, on a wet day the BH2 won!![/QUOTE]

I agree to most of what you say, the only thing stopping me buying the Big Horn II is:

The cost, with postage and stove etc

Can't really pitch it on your own

Aside from that it looks a fantastic tent:)

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I love the idea of a Lavvu but think that the tunnel tent is more practical. Expecially having the separate bedrooms. More usable space.

Does anyone think that my original idea of converting the tent is not a flyer? I guess I would need to construct a flue opening.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Does anyone think that my original idea of converting the tent is not a flyer? I guess I would need to construct a flue opening.
I all honesty I do think you could be biting off quite a lot in the conversion.
One thing to remember is that all tents designed to use a stove in, have extremely good ventilation, due to the stovesucking the air out of the tent. As far as the flue opening, Cabelas use to sell a heatproof panel for one of their tents, you could try looking on their web site.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a tentipi varrie9 and like it a lot but this //www.snowtrekkertents.com
looks like an interesting alternative

One of the Canadian guys over on the stove forum has one, the four person version, fantastic tent, but its really only for winter snow conditions, not much good in this country to be honest:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE