Alpkit Numo: initial views and comparisons (a journey from CCF to air beds)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
After starting off with closed cell foam mats 20 years ago I progressed onto Thermarest self-inflating mats shortly after and haven't looked back since. I've had several versions of Thermarests and other inflatable mats over the years, slowly progressing onto thicker mats after getting into hammocking and finding sleeping on the floor increasing less comfortable. At times I still like to kip on the ground with friends in bivvies and so have been searching for more comfort.

Enter the air beds.

I've liked the look of these since the Neoair came on the scene but was put of by the price and also I tried one in a Cotswold Outdoors shop and didn't actually like it. The pack-size was always the deal-breaker for me as I do a lengthy motorcycle tour every year and pack size is the key factor, not weight. Since getting into hammocking the floor has never been as alluring at is used to be and I've found even my 5cm mat not as comfortable as I'd like so the search went on.

I've looked at the Numo for a while now and found very little actual 1sthand reviewing online of them. Having had other gear from Alpkit, I decided to give it a go and got one last week.
[video=youtube;WJ9RsT7sD-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9RsT7sD-c[/video]

First impressions are very small (great) and light (also great). The thickness of the mat was a welcome surprise and I found it really comfortable. You can feel the warmth immediately from the insulated section of the mat. It seems more comfortable to how I remember the Neoair being but I guess you'd need a back-to-back test to actually confirm this for definite. It's more comfortable than all of my self-inflating mats.

It takes about the same amount of time to get it ready that a self-inflator does (I always need to put a few breaths into my mats beyond the regular self-inflation). 2 minutes and it's ready to go. There are little gadgets to help with inflation of these styles of mats but they are not essential; the Numo is easy to inflate.

The surface has a nice rubberised, cross-hatched surface on the mat to help keep you on and not slip all over. It's also not as 'rustly' as a Neoair. There is some sound of air movement as you change positions as the air moves between the air channels, but nothing that would disturb you when you are sleeping.

Overall I'm happy with it so far. It's definitely got the comfort that I'm looking for and seems warm enough for summer use easily. If more warmth is needed you could use a space blanket underneath it and/or some clothing (shemagh, tshirt etc) on top of it or even a thin CCF mat under/on top of it.

I guess time will tell regarding how tough it is, but I've never had a puncture on any of my self-inflators so I must be choosing sites well enough. A downside of this style of mat is that if you get a puncture then it's going to provide very little insulation, unlike a self-inflator with internal foam. Chose your site carefully and it shouldn't be an issue.

If you are side sleeper and find most other self-inflating mats still lacking in that bit of comfort that you require, then try an airbed: Alpkit, POE, Neoair etc, it may be what you are looking for.

I'll report back once I've put some hours on it.

Dunk

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for taking time to do a review... Been looking at this for some time!

I need a decent height/price mat due to a trapped nerve. This seems to tick all the boxes, but the information was a little limited.

Regards, al.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I've spent 2 separate nights out so far on the Numo and I'm happy with it. These style of airbeds, from online Neoair reviews to my own experience with the Alpkit mat, do seems to be more comfortable that standard self-inflating mats. I'm not sure how robust they will be in the long-run. I've had an original Thermarest for almost 20 years and have used it all over the world in many conditions. I don't know how long these airbeds would last with continuous harsh conditions. Another issue would be if you got a puncture it would provide very little, if any, insulation.

Negatives aside, I'm happy with my Numo and would try other styles of airbeds in the future and if I needed more 'security', I'd use a very thin CCF mat underneath to keep it in tip top condition. I think the comfort is worth it.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I bought the largest size Neo-air which measures 196x63cm. I'm not tall or fat but just wanted extra width as I tend to sleep on my side and wriggle a bit. I still don't find it the most comfortable sleep I've ever had but it's not too bad. If it punctures I've a repair kit.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
just got myself a numo, will try it out over the next two weekend scout camps and then give it a thorough test for 2 weeks in Sweden in July.

First impressions are good!

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
Thanks for the review. I have been looking at these. I got an Alpkit Wee Airic (3/4 length 2cm thick) a while ago and tbh I don't find it a great improvement over my old karrimat in comfort. The inflatables look appealing and the numo is a good price but I would be a bit worried about the insulation. Does it cover your hips area? From the pics and video it looks as if it might just go to waist level.

I wish they had a version with full length insulation as the weight increse must be minimal whereas uninsulated airbeds are cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE