Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
History Channel.

First episode aired yesterday. Looks like they contacted a few bushcrafters through their youtube channels, and dropped them into the program.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/videos

10 men dropped off alone on vancouver island, last man standing $500k

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was going to say the the Vancouver Island coastline is an absolute banquet of food at low tide.

However, the entire west coast of the US and up into southern BC is now affected by what what may be the largest bloom
of domoic acid producing dinoflagellates and/or red tide algae that has every been recorded. Strong neurotoxin.

Roast some oysters in the half shell over a fire.
The juice from one of those is enough to kill an adult.

Depending on when these episodes are filmed, the tone of the foraging will change completely.
I only hope that if it's happening now, that they all are informed ASAP.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Under The BIO's section its interesting to see what ten items, which is all they're allowed to take except the clothes on their back, they chose to bring.

[Too early to guess who will win? I'll say Brant Mcgee.]

Which ten items would you take to Vancouver Island, for an indefinite period?

Should be right up our street this one. :)

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the headsup on this Dave i wasn't able to watch the video you linked as the pixelation was driving me crackers but thankfully there are plenty of high quality torrents of the show kicking about and i just finished watching ep 01 (no spoilers here but), i knew that bloke who dropped out was gonna be the first one crying and going home, if i am going off the personal bios on who i think will win i'll say Sam Larson and sadly he also seems the most annoying one to watch and listen to so far, big man Chris Weatherson looks like he has been fattening himself up for this so he has brought the most internal reserves with him. So far it seems like getting your fear of the native critters under control is the biggest enemy

Think you've got what it takes for season 2?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
You can't watch the main show on the History channel website over here but you can watch all the mini feature vids like the audition tapes n such

Casting tapes and such

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im half thinking of applying, but I bet they wouldnt let me because of my illness. :( Chance of a lifetime

I bet the UK winner gets a hell of a lot loss than half a million dollars. :lmao:

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm definitely not thinking of applying, i like my outdoor adventures where the apex predator is the midge and then me, not the midge then cougar then bear then wolves then me, if i was heading where they are my ten items would be

Knife
hatchet
4.5 x 3m dd tarp
20 meters paracord
mono filament line and 25 hooks
Sleeping bag
Bivvi
Ferro rod
AK47
AK47 ammo

What's your illness stopping you? There is one of the fellows there now recovered from Lymes

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Oh well replace my wanted ak47 ands ammo with a Beaton's midge jacket and a bow and six arrows and i'd go for the smothering myself in fecal matter as my animal defense, that is if i was mad enough to sign up

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh well replace my wanted ak47 ands ammo with a Beaton's midge jacket and a bow and six arrows and i'd go for the smothering myself in fecal matter as my animal defense, that is if i was mad enough to sign up

I dont think the bears would bother me so much. I think it would be a lot lot worse in Africa with lions, leopards hippos, snakes etc.
Boredom and loneliness will send more packing within a year than fear of Bears will I reckon.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Looks good Op, thanks.

GGTBod,

Can you suggest some torrents for viewing on?

I am currently downloading episode 1, taking an eon or 2 it is :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I got my torrent to download the episode from Extratorrent.cc there is a standard definition and HD version on there, it took me a few hours to get ep 1 as my internet is slow during the daytime

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My Ten:

Jerven King size thermo extreme bag
Wiggys Sleeping bag
Bark River Bravo 1.5 A2, [or TK1 3G]
True North Big Tarp
As much paracord as I was allowed. All stripped out.
A 36" crosscut saw. :)
20lb line and 25 strong hooks.
Zebra Billy can
Beatons midge jacket [would this be allowed as clothing?] In which case, Id take my catapult, or maybe a DC4 or gransfors file
Firesteel

Presumably your rucksack isnt one of your ten items? Frosts River summit exped.

[I'd tie a schmog round my neck and use as a water filter.]

Difficult to choose one set of clothes for a year. Heavy bushwacking waterproofs, surplus DPM stuff.
And probably rubber wellies over leather boots with vibram soles? Or maybe lundhags boots.

Definitely swannie bushshirt, hestra falt guide gloves and probably heavily waxed fjallraven barents pro trousers, with the knee pads in.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The only item of clothing i currently own that I know i'd 100% take to where they are in this season would be my Grubs Snowline 8.5 welly boots, i don't think much else i own would be suitable for that level of constant wet and cold, i've got some great outdoor clothing but it is very suited to Britain

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No, they're not that big yet Joe. :lmao:

Would have been very good to include some first nations hunters I think. Is there much small game there to be had, wih a catapult, squirrels, rabbits, birds, and such?

Some of that fish the bears left looked edible to me.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's a wearable micro bug net Joe, works perfect against ticks n any other biting micro critters that carry disease

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE