Alone In the Wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
well this puts every one to shame.
Alone In the Wilderness is a film of a guy spending a year living alone. making his own log cabin even making wooden hinges for the door.
he packed the metal parts of his tools and made all the handels on site.

Never been the best at putting things into words but I will say this film is worth watching. I was given a copy but I bet its on the net somewhere.

it took him an hour to make a wooden spoon :)

regards David

edit found it

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
david1 said:
well this puts every one to shame.
Alone In the Wilderness is a film of a guy spending a year living alone. making his own log cabin even making wooden hinges for the door.
he packed the metal parts of his tools and made all the handels on site.

Never been the best at putting things into words but I will say this film is worth watching. I was given a copy but I bet its on the net somewhere.

it took him an hour to make a wooden spoon :)

regards David

edit found it

There is a book too,.If you like the movie get it, its great. He acctually never left the place and lived there over 30 years. The last two years where too tuff in winter and he stayed in town and died there. I think he was 82 or something like it.

cheers
Abbe

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I would like to see this film, so have you got any more details of who it is, where ect................. :)

Mark

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Thanks guys, I read about Dick Proenneke some time ago, but forgot about him. I now ordered the book. With all the experience he has, I am surprised that Mears never made a film about him.

-Emikle

C

cod3man

I have seen the movie couple times. It impresses me how he handles himself and the things he does, but more so that he had the foresight to video tape it all. I mean, the equipment he would have used would not have been fun, not really point and shoot. And he seems to have taped almost a bit of everything.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Very enjoyable video. Love to watch it again. Does take a special kind of person to live that alone. He does a great job - obviously has a lot of backround bushcraft skills necessary to live in the wilds.

-but even he took some preconceived notions to the wilderness, such as building a fireplace in an Alaskan cabin.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Anyone know where the DVDs and book can be bought for those of us in the UK. The link provided is for US customers only.

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
moko said:
Anyone know where the DVDs and book can be bought for those of us in the UK. The link provided is for US customers only.

You can order it from Amazon.com (not Amazon.co.uk). search under 'Dick Proenneke' there are a number of 'packages' available.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE