Allotment Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Not impressed, chrysanthemums as flower arranging?
I don't think that should be a topic.

Don't get me wrong I like flowers, even on an allotment, as a thing of beauty, but I feel allotments should be for producing food. Flower arranging? Doesn't quite fit right in my brain.
Mind you I felt the whole thing was a little londony/British Bake off.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but its my opinion

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I didn't even try to watch it, I feared I may scream too much at the screen.

I personally don't understand the whole growing of exhibition fruit/veg. To me, you grow veg to eat. It's primary quality therefore is taste. That's it.

When you see these people with 100lb pumpkins. The varieties invariably have poor taste, and just are taking up resources that would be better put to growing other food.

This said, growing flowers has a place, even on an allotment. They can provide a home to insects, a source of nectar, and in some cases are just a good sacrificial crop. I grow a few flowers in my garden that are not edible, namely daffodils, bluebells, tulips, snowdrops, wallflowers, sunflowers & marigolds. The marigolds I grow as a companion plant for the tomatoes. The rest just because they are pretty. This year I cut some of the daffs and brought them inside to brighten the flat up. Thing is, the growing of them didn't really take any extra effort or resources. They mostly fill a gap when little else is growing, and provide welcome colour after a long winter.

My garden is however primarily there to feed me.

J

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Watched the first episode and found it pathetic - trying to turn something important into something trivial and suitable for Britains got X factor viewers. Awful show.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE