All Change!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Wow, what a couple of months it's been for me. I'm remortgaging the flat - to get out of an endowment black hole - and as a result of it having to be surveyed it's tidier than it's been at any point over the last 12 years! As a further result, my kitchen's clean, I haven't had a microwave meal for over a month, and I've rediscovered the joys of inventive cooking. And I've got floorspace again, though that's bound not to last...

I've changed jobs, and now work in Geographic Information Systems - electronic mapping - and have suddenly started to enjoy work again (even if it IS still in the Civil Service). I mean, I spend all day officially making maps using OS data, and get paid to do it! It's almost criminal...

In the last 2 weeks I've been asked to join the leader team of a new Explorer Scout unit (14-18 year-olds) which will be opening the new year in Aldershot; and its' emphasis will be firmly on camping, scoutcraft and bushcraft!

It's not all good, though. 2 weekends ago a building in the grounds of my current scout group got broken into - the building where I keep all my camping and LaRPing (Live action Role Playing) gear - and it was ransacked (literally - stuff was thrown all over the place). The amazing thing was that whoever did it did not seem to be interested in stealing much; all they took (from what I can gather) was a rubber sword and...

...my reindeer skin. :( They left the 2 sheepskins, the three tents & the infamous Millitts teepee, the billhook, the knives, the axe (although they did take it out of its sheaf, hit it against the plasteboard walls, and then put it back in its sheaf & down again... go figure), the sleeping bags, the Hennessey, the 2 bows, all the rest of my larping gear... there was over £700 worth of stuff there which they DIDN'T take. I must admit to being just a little confused... :confused: ...and angry, of course. :cussing:

So it's been all change for me, AND I appear to be losing weight - just a little bit, anyway!

Oh yeah - I turned 40 as well...

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Whoah. Sounds like you're having a bit of a rollercoaster ride at the moment. Hope it all sorts itself out mate. Don't suppose there's insurance cover for your stuff?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent news mate, sometimes a bit of change is needed to bring the best out in people and to give life a new lease. Next time we see each other you’ll be a new man!

Keep it up

leon-1

Good to hear some of that there Womble, congrats on the job change, explorer scouts and the re-discovery of inventive cooking (that's probably why you are loosing weight, no more micro-wave rubbish meals).

Commiserations on the little blighters nicking your kit, all the best anyway,

Leon.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Well done on most of that lot John.
Sorry about the skin - and the hassle of sorting all the mess out. :banghead:

Does that mean there'll be an electronic mapping group buy soon then ??? ;)

Cheers

Mark

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Womble....I took out an endowment mortgage in 93....DOH ... A few years ago, I switched it over to a repayment mortgage,(for not much more money per month) and now have the endowment as a saving scheme...
Well done on getting everything sorted mate.....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Womble said:
1 year after me then... How come they were so popular back then? If only we'd known!!!
They were popular because we were told, it would pay off our mortgage and we would have money left over..........My company even got me to take out another endowment to cover the foreseen shortfall........... :rant:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Blimey! Someones had a busy few months!!!! There was me thinking i'd had a busy time of things.

Think a big Congratulations are due for the most, but its a shame to here about the break-in.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Congrats Womble, it's definately a good move to be doing something you enjoy all day rather than being stuck in a job you hate!

Shame about the endowment and break-in though. We took ours out in '96, just before they stopped selling them! Fortunately we were only a couple of years in when all the bad press came out and we swapped to repayment without too much problem.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but if you're having to sell up because of it, have you thought about claiming compensation?

Anyway, we'll be seeing you over on Leaders Chatter in the new year then, shout if you want any advice on Explorers. We're taking ours on survival camp in a couple of weeks - hope they've got good sleeping bags!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
what a busy couple of months, sorry about the damage done can you claim on the insurance ??
leon

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Big John said:
Anyway, we'll be seeing you over on Leaders Chatter in the new year then, shout if you want any advice on Explorers. We're taking ours on survival camp in a couple of weeks - hope they've got good sleeping bags!

You'll see me on the Leaders chatter anyway - not only am I already an ASL, but that particular sub-section was put on the board at my suggestion (ask Tony - he'll tell you... :D )!

However, I will be looking for advice, especially about the connections between Explorers and DofE (Hey Matt - you out there?). I know some of the differences between a troop and a unit, but there's always new stuff to learn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE