Alder spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Now I don't carve spoons very often but I was bored last night and had a lump of alder laying around. I'm not a fan of carving with alder as it can be abit temperamental but it killed the time.

IMG_1389_zpsnja0wcvu.jpg

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
That's a lovely wee spoon.

I had a go at carving a couple of butter spreaders from birch recently. Thoroughly enjoy passing the time "whittling" away the hours.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's very appealling :) How did you find the alder to work ? last time I cut it my tools looked like they were covered in blood.

M

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
That's very appealling :) How did you find the alder to work ? last time I cut it my tools looked like they were covered in blood.

M

I would say its an between oak and birch regarding the hardness lending its self more towards oak I've also made a large kuksa a few months ago out of the same piece I have. it was constantly tearing and splitting so it was learning curve for my self luckily the spoon went straight to plan and I didn't have any issues apart from the odd bit of cross grain cutting you can't avoid. The tools held up fairly well this time a quick strop on cardboard with compound on brought the edges right back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE